99 Savage 300 Sav Range report - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

99 Savage 300 Sav Range report

Picked this up the other day, it is mostly in good shape, the left side looks like they stored it on a sponge. I was hoping for surface rust but nope, its pitted. Probably 5 holes are weldable. So it made a good deal into a decent deal not a heart breaker. I always liked 99's, just never enough to jump till now.

Ok, I'm sold. I like it. Moderate recoil, plenty accurate.

Specs; 1950 Savage 99 in 300 Savage, 4x Lyman All-American, Hornady superpreformance 150gr SST factory ammo. https://www.hornady.com/store/300-Sa...Superformance/ 200 yds, 77F no wind, sunny.

I was going to take the AR out and since I had everything at 200, I figured what the heck. My help was undermining the spotting scope during the first couple shots. It took me a while to get the scope to focus. Lots of turns. I have no idea if the former owner sighted it in for 50 or was nearsighted as heck, but finally it came in pretty well. It is a fine crosshair, and just a crosshair.
The trigger breaks at just a touch under 5.5lb and while smooth, it stacks, for lack of a better term. Definitely not breaking glass, but you can work around it. I shot off the rest and my left hand at the point (toe) of the stock.
First one ended up about 5 in low and 10 right. I sent another after it to see if I was the problem. Didnt seem to be.

Aim point is low left point on the poorly drawn triangle.
I tossed in 5 left and 3 up and fired another, that would be the one in the top rt quad of the target. I came down 2 and sent 1, it looked good so I sent another, that is the best pair, but not where I wanted them. I came up 1 and left 1 and fired the one that is about centered on the target, sent another which is the one to the left of that and I am claiming my error for that not blaming the rifle. I think the group could be smaller with a little more effort and a better rest.

And put the truth teller on it inside to outside..

[email protected] If I am off a bit, it is still sub MOA, and that second bunch was tighter.
triggercreep likes this.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 05:59 AM

That looks pretty normal for a Model 99, especially with a 4X scope. Good luck with your purchase!

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 06:33 AM

I agree, the scope is more of the accuracy issue than the gun...put a Leupold 3x9 on her and you'll have a fine PA big game rifle...back in the day, the 60's a lot of hunters carried these fine rides and a lot of bucks hung on meat poles and car fenders by this combo...remember your shooting at a basketball sized target and this old girl can easily fill the bill. The scope is still tracking well after all these years and if your into nostalgic hunting use it... I personal witnessed a ton of this same combo being used.

Does it have a rotary magazine ?? I remember some having them with a little number indicator, but 50 years blurs the Emory a little..,still a great rifle and fun to own...

Last edited by 6-DASHER; 07-10-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 07:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When I was young and dumb, I traded my grandfathers 300 Savage 99 takedown model circa late 1920"s or early 30"s for a S&W 9mm commander semi-auto.
Gun was in excellent shape with canvas carry bag. To me it kicked like a mule, which is why I traded it. Older and wiser and I certainly regret doing it. Still have the S&W, great shooter

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-DASHER View Post
I agree, the scope is more of the accuracy issue than the gun...put a Leupold 3x9 on her and you'll have a fine PA big game rifle..
[email protected]200yds......... its sub MOA with factory ammo prone off a rest and a left paw pretending to be a rear bag. Zeroed at 200 it should be +2in at 100 and still a vitals hold to 250-270. I think that it is probably OK for PA big game as it sits.

Heck my custom rifle wears a Leupold, 2-7 which is more than enough. IIMHO There is way to much over glassing on rifles that will never be shot over 300 yards even by mistake.
As to nostalgic hunting, last deer I took was with a 1949 Mod 94 32 Spl with opens. The plan this year is a 45/70 trapdoor if I can get the front sight blade replaced so the holes are in the same zip code as the aim point. So old and weird is kind my thing, ask the wife. (Whoops, was that out loud??)
Quote:
Does it have a rotary magazine ?? I remember some having them with a little number indicator, but 50 years blurs the Emory a little..,still a great rifle and fun to own...
Yep, rotary with a brass indicator.
triggercreep likes this.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Last edited by Varmintmist; 07-10-2017 at 01:28 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald Jager View Post
When I was young and dumb, I traded my grandfathers 300 Savage 99 takedown model circa late 1920"s or early 30"s for a S&W 9mm commander semi-auto.
Gun was in excellent shape with canvas carry bag. To me it kicked like a mule, which is why I traded it. Older and wiser and I certainly regret doing it. Still have the S&W, great shooter
Folks told me that they kicked, I didnt really notice substantial recoil. I thought it was pretty moderate. It wasnt a 9lb AR, but it sure wasnt a light 06

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 04:40 PM

Boy varmint mist that was truly a mistake...a 99 take down is like the holy grail of the 99 collectors world...haven't even seen one at any gun show in many moons...the only thing worse is if it was stamped 250/3000 on the barrel, then you'd have reason to be real sick !! A rare piece...that little leather carrying bag is rarer than filled hens teeth...

Guess your going to have to buy some Woolrich clothes and wear felts !!! No use monkeying around, might as well go the whole way...we'll need a picture of the old/new you ! Have fun, life's short...

Last edited by 6-DASHER; 07-10-2017 at 04:44 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Sage

I used to own one, traded it in on something, always sorry I got rid of it
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-DASHER View Post
Boy varmint mist that was truly a mistake...a 99 take down is like the holy grail of the 99 collectors world...haven't even seen one at any gun show in many moons...the only thing worse is if it was stamped 250/3000 on the barrel, then you'd have reason to be real sick !! A rare piece...that little leather carrying bag is rarer than filled hens teeth...
Pssst it was Wald that sold one

Quote:
Guess your going to have to buy some Woolrich clothes and wear felts !!! No use monkeying around, might as well go the whole way...we'll need a picture of the old/new you ! Have fun, life's short...
Well, the orange coat I have is woolrich and If felts are felt pacs, then still guilty. Had Sorels for years. And it will have to be straight wool for the 45/70.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 05:25 AM

Still have the images of mid 60's deer hunters at local sportsmen's clubs/hunting camps burned in my old mind...Real Woolrich coat/pants, the red and black ones with the Jones style hats and Woolrich mittens, red/black stripes with white leather fronts..."felts" were black/blue wool inserts used with black boots with metal buckles up the front or lots wore the Mickey Mouse boots, too heavy for kids...my dad bought me the white ones...seems to me they weighed a thousand pounds...rifles were exactly what your using, Savage 99's in .300 or Rem 760's in 30/06..both with Weaver 4 power scopes...kids carried 30/30 model 94 win...I'll bet any PA hunter who is 55 plus will describe the exact same hunter...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page