Mossberg 7mm Rem Mag, complete mess - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thumbs down Mossberg 7mm Rem Mag, complete mess

In January of this year i sent my Mossberg 4x4 7mm Rem Mag into Mossberg as i have been dealing with misfires over the past 3 Pennsylvania deer season. If the gun sat for any period of time the firing pin would not strike the primer hard enough, turns out the firing pin was dragging on the edge of the opening it comes out of on the head of the bolt. Mossberg kindly replaced the entire bolt at their expense and sent my gun back to me in early February with a note, "bolt upgrade! Test fired 5 7mm rounds, in working order." Until last Saturday, i had not had an opportunity to shoot the rifle to get it sighted it. Once at the range, i attempted to chamber a round only to find that the bolt could not be pushed forward far enough to close it. Upon further investigation, the base of my 7mm rem mag casing is larger than the inlet on the head of the bolt Mossberg sent back with my gun, making it impossible for a 7mm rem mag round to be fired out of this gun!

I phoned Mossberg today and explained the situation and THE MASSIVE SCREW UP ON THEIR END. They would not comment until i send the gun back in for them to review, they emailed me a prepaid shipping label.

My question is, what would you do????? With a Montana elk/mule deer hunt in November, My outlook is this: ive alrady lost confidence in this gun because of the misfiring over the past few seasons, now i run into this problem. 1.) i was either lied to by Mossberg and the gun was never test fired before it was sent back to me and their QC is garbage, or 2.) the gun was test fired using the wrong caliber ammunition and the Lord only knows what could now be screwed up in the chamber or barrel.

I suspect Mossberg will receive my gun, install the correct bolt, test fire it and tell me that test firing was successful and the gun(chamber and barrel) is free from defect.

I have to provide a written description of the problem and include it with shipment of the firearm, i am tempted to explain the problem, explain my complete lack of confidence in the firearm and Mossbergs repair dept. and request that the firearm be completely replaced.

What would you do?

Forest Management Graduate
Penn State University

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 08:47 AM

Get a back up rifle.
Dogface and old06 like this.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 08:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Normally I would wait, but Nov is coming up and you dont know the turn around time and or if it is going to be ready to go this time.

Go to Wally World and get a 700 for about 350 in 30/06.
Hit up the local gun shops and see if there is a used rifle in 06 sitting on the shelf.

I say 06 because if you dont own one, you should, its the 'Murican thing to do.
Sojourner48 likes this.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 09:39 AM

I'd buy another (non-mossberg) gun asap that appeals to you as a primary weapon. When you get the mossy back unload that lemon, trade it for something else you want used or new as a backup rifle, or some other firearm you might like or have a use for. Of course "need" has nothing to do with guns.
jimsdad likes this.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 09:42 AM

First off write a very detailed and pinpoint letter of every thing and explain in every aspect all the issues you are having and how very outraged you are .
Ask for a QQ and Customer service manager call you , and specifically tell them in the letter "" You do not feel safe with this fire arm and you are requesting a new gun""
tell them what store and address you got the gun from. once you do get a new gun and it works fine i would sell it.
if able too i would go out get a nice savage or rem 700 in what ever cal you wanted.
dave
bohunr, jimsdad and 4x4dad like this.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 10:49 AM
The Man

Pretty much what everyone else said.......................

Send it back to them. Have them fix it for REAL this time. Get it back. VERIFY IMMEDIATELY that it really IS fixed. Sell it. Take that cash and with your newly learned lesson of "you really DO get what you pay for most times" and buy a gun by a quality manufacturer.

demokraten saugen
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 02:20 PM

TRADE IT IN !!!!!!! This why i don't buy used guns from a gun shop ! You just don't know why is traded in ?

WILLY P

Last edited by willyp; 07-08-2017 at 02:24 PM. Reason: s
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 07:02 PM

I wouldn't buy any mossberg rifle
jimsdad and BBB like this.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 10:16 PM

Get it back and hopefully fixed and get rid of it. This type of thing amazes me - willing to spend thousands on an out of state elk hunt and then take a $300 gun to do the job. I'm not saying anyone needs to spend thousands on a gun for an elk hunt but Mossberg has never been known for quality rifles and all you need to do is go to REmington, Ruger, SAvage among others to get a very reputable tried and true rifle without breaking the bank.
Dogface, old06 and jimsdad like this.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 04:40 AM

Get a Tikka and cry once.
Sojourner48 likes this.

benchrest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page