.41 Remington Magnum - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

.41 Remington Magnum

Hey out there! I just wanted to start a talk about the .41 Remington Magnum. I've got a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Carbine Limited and a Ruger Blackhawk chambered in it, and I live and die by these guns. Reload and cast bullets for it too. Most people either love it or hate it, just want to hear some opinions.

"Live Free or Die, Death is not the Worst of Evils"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: .41 Remington Magnum

I just got a Blawkhawk last week, soon as I get some ammo will be working it out.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

got a S & W 657 in it for my son. I reload for it. Great cartridge, all that the 44 mag handgun promised and without the muzzle rise.

We've used it for hogs and deer, no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 11:07 AM
The Man

Had a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 for years...Ended up selling it to a friend and regret it....I like it because it has most of the power of a 44 magnum in a smaller package.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

They're a blast to shoot, but gosh factory rounds are expensive, $65.00 for a box of fifty at the shop by me. I've gotta reload. Plus, I can get much better accuracy when I tune down my rounds to ~850fps. Not enough guts for hunting, but still makes a day at the range more fun.

"Live Free or Die, Death is not the Worst of Evils"
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Part of the Community

+1 on the S&W 657 - very nice trigger and I don't have to deal with the jump of the 44. Too bad the factory ammo has to be so expensive - going to have to start reloading for it soon.

Find the time.....
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a 657 with 8-3/8 inch barrel. I am still trying to get a shot at a deer with it.

Only the pentitent man will pass.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Great caliber ya got there Tony.I love my 44's bought for the last year have been shooting my Blackhawk in 41 magnum.A matter of fact,i think so much of that 41 that i bought a Freedom Arms model 97 in a 41.One beautiful revolver.Personally i believe it is more accurate than a 357 or 44.If you want to hear someone rave about the 41 contact the owner of Penn Bullets.He makes some great cast truncated bullets for the 41,210 grs.Welcome to the CULT.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:50 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

One of the guys I hunt with had a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 mag and took more deer with that than I can ever remember. Unfortunately it was stolen from his house. He was one heck of a shot with that thing, and it was impressive how fast it would put a deer down.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 02:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

I like the 41 magnum. The 44 magnum, and the 45 Colt. All three are great cartridges. I think the 41 was left behind. But there was no real reason for it to be left behind.

I believe the cartrdige was developed with the Police in mind. They were wantnig a slightly larger magnum than the 357, but with a little less recoil than the 44 magnum. But I believe they found out the 357 was pretty close. Then because of bad timing with the advent of semi-auto pistols both the 357 and 41 fell off the Law Enforcement map(sort of speak).

The 41 is every bit as effective as it two slightly larger brothers. Only hang up is ammunition choices. If you reload then that is not an issue. But if you are dependent on factory fodder then the 44 magnum is probably a better choice.

Good luck with your 41 magnum. I have had a couple. One was a Desert Eagle. And man it was a shooter!!

That Marlin will also be a real dandy!! Tom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page