270 VS. 270 WSM.........Just looking for opinions. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

270 VS. 270 WSM.........Just looking for opinions.

I am a big 270 win fan. I am going to be looking for a new stainless rifle in the near future. I have several 270 wins. and after getting a new stainless Howa I don't need another yet.BUT How does the 270 wsm stack up against the 270 win? I have never shot the 270 wsm and that is the only caliber that I don't have in my Howas. I am looking for pro's and cons of the 270 wsm before I go out and buy one. Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: 270 VS. 270 WSM.........Just looking for opinions.

My humble opinion,if it ain't broke don't fix it.Stay with the great 270 and don't bother with those super,duper,lup er,extra energy,extra velocitie rifles.You have a great caliber there and besides you wouldn't want to tee off Jack O'Connor.Happy Easter.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 02:38 PM
The Man

The Wsm will give ya about 200FPS more and kick a little more too, not much, but a little!

Ammo is more expensive and harder to find if your not reloading. Will the WSM remain popular? If not that poses another problem in finding ammo.

Is there a differnce in magazine capacity, I would think there might be, with the WSM holding 1 less?

I've got both rounds and like them both. The WSM I have in a Vanguard shoots lights out, but so do several of the 270 Wins I shoot. Don't think any game animal will tell the difference

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 02:50 PM

The wsm will offer more fps and a little more energy in a short action. I have a 7mm wsm and love it ammo is a little high in price but if only hunting with it a box or two will last a few years. I dont think the wsm will fade out they are building a following so I think they are here to stay.

life member of nahc
buckmasters member
pa fly fish member
nra member
ducks unlimited member
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

My decision would hinge on whether I reload or not. If I did not reload then I would definitely not do it. But if you reload then pick up about 300 pieces of brass and you are set for the life of the rifle.

Personally I like the 7 WSM a bit better than the 270 WSM. And I believe the 7 WSM to be a bit more popular than the 270 WSM, but not by much.

I have had, and still have some 300 WSM's. And I really like them.

One thing some guys are missing about the WSM's is that not only do you pick up a few extra hundred fps. But to me the best advantage is a short action over a long action. I believe a short action is inherently more accurate than a long action. It is definitely stronger than a long action, and flexes less. And best of all it weighs less. That is the real beauty of the WSM's.

You can buy one of tke Kimber's for a pretty decent price(not much more than a nice Reminton). They are fantastic rifles, great light weight, fast handling, and built specifically for the WSM's. And they are very lightweight. Take a look at the WSM Kimber's. I think you wil really like them.

It really is an individual choice which WSM you buy. Personally I like the bullet selection for the 7mm and 300 the best. But there is still plenty of 270 bullet choices to choose from. So if it's what you want then go for it. I know I did.

And if you don't reload then this could be a great reason to get started!!

I read alot about the cartridges before I bought the 300 WSM's. And on the average I believe most shooters are getting a bit more accuracy from the WSM's. I think part of that is premium ammuntion, and modern rifles. But I also believe the shorter and fatter WSM case is a bit more efficient.

I am considering a new custom build for an nice deer rifle-or possibly a Cooper. And the two cartridges on my list are the 7WSM and the 300WSM. That is gonna be a tough choice when that day comes!! Tom.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys keep em coming! Hog I also have the 300wsm. I have it in a stainless Howa and a blued weatherby.I do like it better then my 300 win just because of the short action. I have been a 270 win fan for so long that I'm afraid of heading to something different. the cost of ammo doesn't really scare me. So that isn't a factor. You touched on them being more accurate because of flexing.....thats interesting to me. That's the stuff I would like to read about. Each shooter has something different that they look for. Keep it coming guys!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

A strong action is definitley a plus. Look at the ports on bench rest actions. You will notice the ports are smaller. This leaves more material to make the action considerably stronger. Same as with your scope mount. A one piece base also strengthens up your action over a two piece base.

it is a simple proven fact that shorter actions are more accurate than longer actions. And alot of that accuracy has to do with the actual flexing of the action.

Taake a look at this video if you want to see flexing in action. Tom.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...arrel-flexing/
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

I can't add much more than what has already been said, however I have a 270wsm and I really like the caliber. I like the short actions

My guns are not worth your life; but my freedom and liberty are worth mine
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 05:32 PM
The Man

The WSMs are here to stay...I wouldn't hesitate to buy a .270 WSM to round out your collection of Howas....part of being a rifle nut is feeding your desire for something new or different....
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 04:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had a ruger 270WSM, got it when I had that "itch", it was accurate and light, I killed several deer with it, though I will say that every deer I shot with it seemed to run a little further than I was used to on good shots. Ammo was a little harder to find had to go to bigger gun shops and a little more expensive. So I decided to sell it and go back to the guns I used previously, like I said it was accurate and killed deer but once the itch was scratched it just wasn't for me, I'd rather have a nice .270 if I was going to do it again. Good luck with whatever you get and I hope you enjoy it.

Molon Labe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page