.338 Win Mag ammunition - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

.338 Win Mag ammunition

Taking my Remington 700 BDL SS to Maine this coming fall for a November deer hunt, and was wondering if anyone has used or does use this cartridge for their big game needs. What is your preferred factory ammo and in what weight? Or if you reload, what bullet? I've only ever shot 250 gr. Nosler Partitions on paper and they were very accurate, but was thinking about dropping down to around 225 grain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 08:57 PM

Seems like a lot of gun for deer but the nosler accubonds are good.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 09:20 PM
The Man

Perfect gun for deer or whatever.

Bullet selection is pretty much a non-issue for whitetails with the .338 Win Mag. Pick whatever is economical and shoots well and go shoot deer.

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 08:02 AM

Used 180 grain nosler ballistic tip, it works well. However Nosler quit making it a few years back. Some times you can find a box at gun shows. Watch for bullets that have too heavy of a jacket and do not expand, however even those will still go straight thru and stilll work, but if they do not expand you may just have a smaller exit and less blood trail. The ballistic tip was made for deer size game. They now have the 180 in accu bond.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have used the Hornady 225gr SP @ 3000fps from a 340 Weatherby on deer with no problems.

Personally I would start with the Nosler 210gr Partition.

Good luck, Tony
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 01:10 PM

I also like the 210 partitions. but if your rifle already shoots the 250s well, I would just shoot them and not overthink it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 05:12 AM

A little over gunned for whitetails !!! Just watch where your shooting, those big bullets will pass through lots of 5 inch trees before they stop, make sure what's behind your target cause their not stopping in it....most of the bullets talked about above have heavy jackets designed for big game, I don't even think they'd mushroom in a whitetails, they would be like a full metal jacket and pass right through..with a partition or x-bullet you could hit one in the front and it would come out it's backside....if you handload, tone it way way down....the minimum velocity you can find is still more than enough.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-DASHER View Post
A little over gunned for whitetails !!! Just watch where your shooting, those big bullets will pass through lots of 5 inch trees before they stop, make sure what's behind your target cause their not stopping in it....most of the bullets talked about above have heavy jackets designed for big game, I don't even think they'd mushroom in a whitetails, they would be like a full metal jacket and pass right through..with a partition or x-bullet you could hit one in the front and it would come out it's backside....if you handload, tone it way way down....the minimum velocity you can find is still more than enough.
Yes, but in Maine the first 3 shots are to move all the trees out of the way.....then you shoot the deer!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 04:06 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
Yes, but in Maine the first 3 shots are to move all the trees out of the way.....then you shoot the deer!!

I hunted Maine a lot. I never did a survey but three most popular calibers with the guys from Maine who I hunted with were the 300 Win Mag, the 338 Win Mag and the 44 Mag in a Ruger Deerslayer. The 338 Win Mag is a versatile round especially if you reload.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 10:29 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I use 210 gr Nosler portions and never had a deer complain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page