.280 Ackley improved - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

.280 Ackley improved

Anybody have one? I have a ruger 77 sporter in .280 that shoots ok but not what I expected it to do, so im thinking of getting it re barreled in .280 ai, looking at reloading data for it seems like its an exceptional round! Just looking for some feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:03 PM

I've heard a lot of good things but it's not my cup o' tea personally.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:24 PM
The Man

.280 Rem to .280 AI is not a re-barrel project unless you want it to be. It's simply running the AI reamer into the factory chamber.

Not my cup of tea, either. But many speak highly of the .280 AI

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:27 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswallace911 View Post
I have a ruger 77 sporter in .280 that shoots ok but not what I expected it to do.

I can't speak for the AI, but I have the same Ruger that you do and it shoots lights out with factory Remington 165 grainers.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:04 AM
BBB
Frequent Contributor

I have Both 280 Rem and a 280 AI its a fine cartridge but the 280 Rem is much easier .
My 280 Rem's shoot 150 Gr well under 1 MOA
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:05 AM
Part of the Community

Barrel length affects peak velocities with this improved cartridge. I'm guessing your barrel is about 22 inches in length. To achieve 7mm MAG power the barrel should be 24 to 25 inches.

The 280 Improved has a lot going for it including long range power and large selection of .284 bullets for reloading.

TR

Fire Up the Grill! Hunting is not Catch and Release!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Anybody have one? I have a ruger 77 sporter in .280 that shoots ok but not what I expected it to do, so im thinking of getting it re barreled in .280 ai, looking at reloading data for it seems like its an exceptional round! Just looking for some feedback.
What is the reason you want to change?

Better accuracy then you are getting with the current gun/barrel?
More velocity?
Just want to try something different?

Good luck, Tony
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:54 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
You wouldn't need to have it rebarreled, just get someone to finish ream with a 280 ai. Not sure how much gain there really is over a handloaded 280. A lot of the AI improvement often comes from increasing the pressure. Not sure if that's the case with the 280 or not.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I have never gotten the best accuracy from this gun 1.5" with factory ammo and 1.25 maybe slightly better with reloads, ive put alot of money in this gun now, so I figured i might as well get it rebarreled and have a really accurate firearms i hope. I know i dont need to rebarrel it but if im not getting good accuracy now idk if itll shoot after rechambering it, plus i like different rounds you dont see all the time, i have a 338-06 and a 6mm rem i think the ackley would be a cool addition to my odd ball round collection.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
I have never gotten the best accuracy from this gun 1.5" with factory ammo and 1.25 maybe slightly better with reloads, ive put alot of money in this gun now, so I figured i might as well get it rebarreled and have a really accurate firearms i hope. I know i dont need to rebarrel it but if im not getting good accuracy now idk if itll shoot after rechambering it, plus i like different rounds you dont see all the time, i have a 338-06 and a 6mm rem i think the ackley would be a cool addition to my odd ball round collection.
That is the perfect reason for getting the 280AI.

I have never played with a 280AI but I have other AI and blown out cartridges. If you are doing a complete rebarrel go with the AI version. I dont think I can add anything you havnt already read about the AI's; higher velocities, longer case life. Personally for my needs I dont see any disadvantages to going with the 280 AI over a standard 280.

Good luck, Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page