Opinions/experience with a Marlin 338 Express? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Opinions/experience with a Marlin 338 Express?

Howdy,
I have the idea of picking up a Marlin 338 Express for a bear/elk/deer gun. Anyone have one or anyone want to talk me out of it? THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 03:44 PM

Re: Opinions/experience with a Marlin 338 Express?

It's not that there's anything wrong with one and I'm sure you could kll any elk that lived up to a certain distance BUT I think you could choose wiser.. I got to see a stainless one shoot at the range..not very impressive but I know there's no control over the shooters ability. How about a pump 7600 in 35 Whelen?? Or any bolt action in .300 win mag or .338 win mag would do anyting that lever gun would do and add alot of extra yardage over that little pipsqueek!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 07:26 PM
The Man

Come on.........It's not a pipsqueek. The ballistics are about the same as a 30/06. Not bad for a lever gun,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 07:55 PM

I am never opposed to a new gun, so go for it.My only concern would be availability of ammo.

Callin all trucks this here's the Duck, we about to go hunting bear!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearschlayerx2
My only concern would be availability of ammo.
Now that could to be a problem if you don't handload.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I also suspect it will die out quick.
But I think it has great potential (assuming you mean black bears). I liked the 375 winchester in the Marlin 336 and it didn't last long on the market. But it did get a 375 marlin and love it. Carrys great like all Marlin lever guns. I reload for it; and if you are willing to reload and buy at least 100 cases...good idea.

The 338 ME is 'sort' of a semi-rimmed cartridge. And it will be only using flat nosed or plastic tipped bullets. So the bullet selection will always be very limited.

Ballistically it is very similar to the 348 win, 356 Winchest, 358 winchester. all of these were made in lever guns also. I own and shoot a model 71 lever in 348; I think it might be heavier than the 338 ME in the 336, but it does kick. the 358 was available in the Savage 99 and the Winchester model 88 both of which let you shoot any bullet, spitzer, etc. Interesting all of the 348, 356, and the 358 are prety much dead issues (a little resurgency so the 358 lately).

If you get it and it goes extinct...well, you will have a nice hunter and a collectable.

From a value perspective,
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:49 AM

Forget about it.. get something that has stood the test of time and will have ammo available in the future..I doubt this liitle half pint will even be heard of in 2 years..if you buy one get as much brass as you can afford...I'd have at least 500 new empty cases on hand.. I'm still not buying it..get the good ole' .338WM..tone it down 20% and you'll have the same thing and chances are it will be there long into the future..
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearschlayerx2
I am never opposed to a new gun, so go for it.My only concern would be availability of ammo.
Years ago, maybe....But this is the age of the internet and in seconds you could find just about any ammo in existance...I'd go for it!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 04:24 PM

I agree Big Ken, what I was thinking is you prolly ain't gonna be able to walk in too many places and buy it off the shelf.Believe me , if I really wanted something, I would not hesitate. Like you said, you can find just about any ammo on the internet.If I was the original poster,and had my heart set on getting a 338 marlin express, it would already be on its way.

Callin all trucks this here's the Duck, we about to go hunting bear!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Banned

I spent a good part of today making my shoulder sore with my .308 Norma magnum. You can't find ammo on any store shelves and if you wanted to order the brass it's more than a dollar a piece. Yet I can not only shoot it as much as I feel like but I do it affordably by resizing .338 WM brass. So I'm not one to get scared off by the lack of ammo availability. However if you're not a handloader then suddenly things like that become insurmountable problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page