Remmington umc 9mm - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Remmington umc 9mm

As I posted a few weeks ago, I bought my first handgun(SR9C)..When I purchased it, I also bought a couple boxes of American Eagle 115gr fmj's. Well I was at Dick's a few days ago and they had Remm. umc shells on sale for $11.98 so i grabbed a box to see how they worked..Needless to say, I am not impressed. I had 3 jams in 17 rounds...2 jammed going in and one jam ejecting..I have over 100 rounds of american eagle through it without an issue..I compared the 2 and found that the remm. bullets are pressed into the casings a little further then the american eagle..also the casing itself feels like it is thicker walled because you can feel more of a "ridge" where the bullet and casing meet...Anyone else have trouble with remm. amo in their autos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 06:16 PM

Re: Remmington umc 9mm

ive shot a ton of the stuff through sigs and glocks..no issues here...

is the pistol clean??? ejector and feed ramp need to be clean...and pistol needs to be held properly or it will jam..

just explained it to a buddy the other night that said glocks jam alot..meanwhile i had one on my hip lol...never had a glock jam..we got to talkin..both times he seen glocks jam, they shooters were brand new to them..my best guess was limp wristing..if you dont hold a handgun properly, the action wont cycle properly..

could be the ammo..the gun..or the shooter..
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 10:22 PM

I've shot a couple thousand rounds of the 115gr UMC's (in the 250 round Mega-packs from Walmart) through 2 XD's and a XDM without any issues. I've had a few FTF's from the American Eagle, aka Federal brand, that were either bad primers or no powder.

WMU 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

No problems with them through my sig and glocks.

Only the pentitent man will pass.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 03:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Been shooting UMC 9mm thru my Smith and Wesson 39 auto for 30+ years. I've never had a problem with them.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Frequent Contributor

I will add to the above, some new guns have a longer brake in period than others before they straighten out. I have owned several Ruger’s in the P-series. Some have needed a couple hundred rounds before the ruff edges are smoothed out.
This is not only the Ruger, I bought a Sig 220 that needed a couple hundred rounds before it smoothed out.
Something else if you are new to handguns, not being a smart –A. but you may be limp wristing the gun. This will cause malfunctions.
I think I would look at some of these things before I totally blame the ammo.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 12:52 PM

My wife has a S&W 9VE.We fired a 100 rounds of that ammo without one problem.Those guns are supposed to be unreliable.Maybe we got the best one they made.It will eat any ammo fed to it.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornady
I will add to the above, some new guns have a longer brake in period than others before they straighten out. I have owned several Ruger’s in the P-series. Some have needed a couple hundred rounds before the ruff edges are smoothed out.
This is not only the Ruger, I bought a Sig 220 that needed a couple hundred rounds before it smoothed out.
Something else if you are new to handguns, not being a smart –A. but you may be limp wristing the gun. This will cause malfunctions.
I think I would look at some of these things before I totally blame the ammo.
I agree that some firearms require a break-in procees due to poor manufacturing tolerances. With that said, I would never and will never keep such a firearm for personal protection. If I'm not 100% convinced that a FTF or FTE is a product of a bad round then the guns gotta go. In this day and age there are to many good guns available to justify keeping a lemon.

WMU 3A
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Sage

Reliability as concerns "limp wristing", seems to be more of an issue with many of the new light weight polymer-framed compact pistols, than with heavier pistols.

My KelTec P3AT will not reliably feed/eject some ammo, if I don't hold it tightly when shooting it. To speed up the break in period, disassembled it and did some polishing. Kept lubed and held tightly, it performs flawlessly now.

UMC works ok in it, so does American Eagle 95gr FMJ.

As for UMC 115gr 9mm ammo, the only 9mm I own is a WWII P 38 Walther bring back. UMC stuff does not cycle it reliably, but more powerful ammo works fine in it.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 11:47 AM
TEE

UMC 9mm worked fine when I shot it in Berettas and Glocks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page