can you own a gun if your spouse was convicted of a crime - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

can you own a gun if your spouse was convicted of a crime

I was thinking of purchasing a gun, but my wife was convicted of a crime and sentenced to six months in jail. Does this now mean a gun cannot even be int the house? I was going to ask for more information but since I was here I thought I would ask here as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 11:44 PM
The Man

If that were my situation, I don't think I'd be asking for advice on an internet forum. The specific crime that she was convicted of will determine your answer. I would be asking her lawyer or the judge/leo in charge of the case to be getting the exact answer.
jimsdad, tdd, SlickShot and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 04:10 AM

Sounds like she was convicted of a felony. If so, you cannot be cannot have guns in your home, no matter who owns them.
bohunr and USAF_SP like this.

benchrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:26 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by D6557 View Post
I was thinking of purchasing a gun, but my wife was convicted of a crime and sentenced to six months in jail. Does this now mean a gun cannot even be int the house? I was going to ask for more information but since I was here I thought I would ask here as well
Please take advise given and contact a local attorney. If there is someone in household with a felony in a lot of cases there can not be a firearm there. But get legal advise.
ruffedG likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:39 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoolshooter View Post
Sounds like she was convicted of a felony. If so, you cannot be cannot have guns in your home, no matter who owns them.
Wrong.
Op, you need to talk to an attorney.
The repeating of rumor and urban legend is strong here.
tdd likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 08:50 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Agreed on talking to someone in the legal profession as well as the law enforcement people involved in her specific case. If she's got a PO, talk to them. I'd also contact the county sheriff and your local LE organization as well. In essence, talk to the people who will be enforcing the law if you run afoul of it and find out what they'd view as a problem and what they would view as permissible.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 09:16 AM

If you're concerned talk to an attorney who is familiar with firearms laws. Many police officers and other law enforcement people are NOT experts in such things...many have only a broad understanding.

I'm not an expert either, but I believe that it is not a problem for YOU to own a gun, but your wife(if she is a prohibited person) is not allowed to possess it or have access to it. For example you could keep it locked in a safe that she does not know the combination to.
outofstater and dragman like this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 09:18 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

The reason I suggested talking to involved LE's is they are the ones who will be enforcing their understanding of the laws if push comes to shove, so understanding their interpretations, I think, is valuable.

I also agree that a lawyer would be best, and one who has defended such cases successfully would be the one I'd want to talk to.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
The reason I suggested talking to involved LE's is they are the ones who will be enforcing their understanding of the laws if push comes to shove, so understanding their interpretations, I think, is valuable.

I also agree that a lawyer would be best, and one who has defended such cases successfully would be the one I'd want to talk to.
I get what you're saying there is certainly discretion involved, but you could put 10 law enforcement officers in a room and possibly get 10 different answers. You could also ask 10 local cops and they would all say the same thing, but then an ATF agent comes into your home and it turns out that the 10 cops were all wrong. There is a reason that cops often have to consult the district attorney when filing charges. The law is the law and the Courts interpretations of it are what matters. I'm not saying anything bad about cops, I know a lot of them and I know their limitations.
USAF_SP likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:11 AM

Call the NRA. by the way welcome to Huntingpa.com forum.
I would think you be allowed.
You did not do anything wrong.
Get a safe so she will not have access.
You are on a hunting forum so I would assume you have hunting rifles in your house so what is the difference. Its a firearm

Life Member NRA

Last edited by joe8768; 04-26-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page