last time i'll use a SGL range!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

last time i'll use a SGL range!!

so i was at the local SGL range yesterday to test some handloads..

i had 3 rifles, took up 2 benches with my gear (only other shooters were on the pistol range) 1 rifle on a high bipod, mountain of sand bags..was there before any of the 3 pistol guys had gotten there..my stuff could be seen a mile away..

another guy came and was going to set up a 100yd rifle target..one of the pistol shooters cleared the range and i was ready to swap targets so we went down range...

i had to take a phone call that lasted 15 seconds and didnt get my first tack taken out when gunshots rang out!!! i was as far away as you could be from the pistol range and could clearly see it! the other guy was closest to it! he took off half running my direction to get away...we started waving our arms and luckily the only guy NOT shooting seen us down range and got the others to quit firing!

a younger guy, took off without saying a word..i guess the other guy talked to them and told them they need to walk a few feet away from the pistol range to check the 100yd targets..he said they were apologetic..but the younger guy took off...the older guy came over to me and apologized and said he's new to shooting and they cleared the range for firing and thought all was good...

HELLLLLOOO!?!?! how didnt you see my gear when you cleared the range to fire again?? how'd you forget that 2 shooters were down on the 100yd targets?

i will say the range design is somewhat poor..from the pistol range, the 25 and 50yd targets and backstops block HALF the view of the pistol shooters...but, i could clearly see all 3 pistol shooters from where i was..they should have seen atleast me!

i made the decision that i'll never be back...its a shame..its close to home..i know it could happen anywhere...but atleast at a club, i might see 1 or 2 other shooters...not 10+ an hour, many being in-experienced like at the SGL range..

thats about as close as being shot at as i wanna come...what a feeling...

PS..kinzua man, if you were there yesterday, i was pulling in as you were pulling out..didnt look at your back window till you backed up to leave..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 02:46 PM
Sage

Re: last time i'll use a SGL range!!

That is exactly why the regulations say if more than one person is shooting someone has to be designated as range officer and it is clearly posted on all ranges. Had the regulations been followed, that would not have happened.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 02:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is a range in my area that borders a public golf course, across a township road. the 13th green and the 14th tee are very near the benches. Several years ago we were on the range live with a group of Boy Scouts when some fool wanders onto the live range searching for his ball ! With a group of several of us literally screaming at the idiot he continued his search until we "removed" him back across the road. This was not a PGC range, but still could have been the end for that divot digger!

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 04:28 PM
The Man

I've never seen this SGL but how would the "Range Officer" be able to monitor both the pistol and rifle areas? It seems that they are a good distance apart with some obstructions. I guess if there was a megaphone there for use it could work. Again, I'm just going off how it sounds I've never seen the range.

Glad I have access to a club I guess.

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

i agree John...if your the one calling cease fire to check targets, IMO YOU are responsible...and that was one of the 3 pistol shooters..and 2 of the 3 pistol shooters were the ones shooting...

to me, they were the range officer...i shoot an 18x scope and hang many targets..i'll stop shooting so others can go down range..but i wont call a cease fire..someone else will long before i need to..and i'll swap my targets then if needed...

keystone, your right..the pistol range is probably a good 75yds from the bench i was on..might be 100..its a good distance..and the back stops of the 25 and 50yd range, and target frames obstruct view especially from guys on the pistol line..

like i said, they called the cease fire...IMO that makes them responsible for making sure the range is clear before going hot...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 06:30 AM

Glad I can shoot here at the house.

Another day in paradise. God hunts on Sundays.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 08:16 AM

Do the PGC range regs state the duties of a range officer? If not, why not?

benchrest
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 09:01 AM
The Man

Not sure what range was being used, but I have only ever used the range at sgl 58 near berwick. I've used it many times without issue.

You can have an idiot at a pay to use or club range just the same.

Venison - The other fast food
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 01:13 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt/fish365
You can have an idiot at a pay to use or club range just the same.
Sure. But the first time that idiot fouls up, he's gone. Therein lies the beauty.

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Had an idiot fire while a lady friend was changing her target outside of Connelsville, surprised me so much all I could yell was hey! She was badly shaken as you can guess and she quit shooting for the day. I told the individual that was the dummest $^%^#@%$$% thing I ever saw. He left without firing anymore thankfully. Oh and he was practicing to re-qualify for his job. Hope he was not in law enforcement.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page