Recoil spring - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Recoil spring

What does putting a stiffer recoil spring in a handgun accomplish?

The problem is that I don't know what I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Recoil spring

I assume you mean an automatic.
Now there are different auto designs and the recoil spring works differently in each.

In a locked action (1911) the spring is different than in most 22rf which are blow-back.

Not sure why you ask???? The gun will work best with the recoil spring is was designed for.

As a genral rule a heavier spring will cause the auto to stovepipe. Namely, it will not recoil sufficiently to eject, and it will start forward and catch the fired shell up in the air.

Without knowing the auto model no one can say.

Stay with the factory spring, unless you know the design function of the weapon and have some gunsmithing experience.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogey
What does putting a stiffer recoil spring in a handgun accomplish?
It can keep the slide from recoiling to harshly with heavier bullets and hotter loads. As stated, factory springs are pretty well tuned for the majority of standard pressure loads and going with either a lighter or heavier spring can be problematic.

WMU 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Yes it is a semi auto 9mm I was thinking about changing out the recoil spring in. I believe it is currently a 17lb spring thats in there and I was thinking about changing it out for either a 20lb or 22lb spring. I never thought about the possibility of creating a stovepiping issue if I changed the spring. I guess I thought only about the pros. The pros that I thought of and am not sure if this is correct or not was that it would reduce the felt recoil, making it not such a sharp snap, and it would reduce the amount of muzzle flip. Its a model CZ-75 Compact in 9mm.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Putting a heavier spring would reduce the felt recoil very slightly, as it would store just a very small amount of the recoil for a fraction of a second longer But this would not even be perceptable to you. If would cause major functioning problems. The recoil spring you have really doesn't absorb any of the recoil of the gun, and a stronger one wouldn't either.

A better way would be to get some soft rubber grips. These usually reduce the felt recoil about 10-15% and on most guns do not change the cycling.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
The Man

What about muzzle flip/jump/movement? Would that be less for a quicker follow up shot?

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Just an opinion here. My feeling is that you will increase muzzle rise at the beginning of recoil unless you grip it more tightly because it requires more force to start the slide movement. The overall recoil will not increase or decrease because it is the same bullet and gun but the recoil curve will change putting more effort into the beginning of it. For certain you will need to have a tighter grip to keep the muzzle down at the beginning of recoil to counteract the increased spring tension as the slide begins to move. With hot loads and heavy bullets I think the increased spring tension will smooth out the recoil but probably have muzzle rise over a longer time because the rearward movement of the slide will be longer. A light spring would work the action faster but more sharply at the end.

I have never increased spring tension but I have decreased it for those that don't grip the gun tightly ending up with jams because they don't resist the movement enough. With a heavy spring you need to restrain the gun more during recoil so the action can overcome the extra resistance of the stiffer spring. If you don't the gun will rotate in your hand not providing enough resistance against the gun movement and it will jam.

I look at it this way, if you are aiming the pistol with no spring or a very light spring, another person could slam the action back without you coming off the target much, but it would hit sharply at the end. If the spring was very stiff they would have to jerk it harder pulling the gun up and back over a longer time, it would feel softer but you would have to fight to keep it down.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogey
What about muzzle flip/jump/movement? Would that be less for a quicker follow up shot?
Look into getting a heavier guide rod (stainless steel or tungsten).

WMU 3A
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Sage

What caliber gun are we talking about here? A .45 acp really doesn't have all that much recoil that you really have to worry about muzzle flip.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
The Man

9mm John S. As far as the heavier guide rod goes I will be replacing the current one which is plastic with a stainless steel one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page