question :value loss on Mohawk 600 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

question :value loss on Mohawk 600

I wonder by glass-bedding the original stock on the Remington's can you loose value on the gun?
I have no intention in selling it The gun is all original except now for the glass bed front recoil lug area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Sage

Re: question :value loss on Mohawk 600

If done properly, probably not?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

If you believe that a rifle has collector's value then yes-any after market work will reduce the value of the rifle. Do you consider your Mohawk to have collector's value??

Now the second way to value a rifle is what is it worth to a hunter. Now as far as a hunter is concerned-if the rifle is sold as a shooter--it will probably slightly increase the value.

But if you are not selling I don't quit understand the question?? Personally I have not heard of the Mohawk's as being a rifle that collector's are after in any real volume. Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

I was just wondering the rifle seem to draw a dollars value of any were from 500.00 to 850.00 on auctions sites.
I myself see the rifle only the way she shoots and yes if I sold it. I would be more on the lines as a shooter in excellent condition
just something came to mind
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 11:49 PM
The Man

Any Model 600 has collectors value....The Mohawk has the least of any of them because of its limited range of calibers and its birch stock...Doing just about anything external to a Mohawk is going to reduce it to a shooter in my book.Bedding may not affect the value.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 01:34 AM
Sage

Don't recall ever seeing a 600 or 660 with a birch stock, except for the birch/walnut laminates in 6.5 and 350 magnums? Know they've become pricey, which is funny, since when they were new, hardly anyone wanted one.

A buddy picked up a minty one years ago, in 243. He wanted it for his son, but didn't want to hack the original stock, so picked up a beater stock for me to shorten. I didn't get around to it fast enough, so he picked it up and took it elsewhere.

Back in the mid-70s, I think just about every farm kid around my camp had a "Mohawk" 243 as their first deer rifle. A buddy that came to camp with me, once asked if they all got one around there for their 12th birthdays.

I call 'em all Mohawks, regardless of whether they are...or ain't. Handy little devils, if somewhat loud barkers.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

the mohawk was the second generation of the 600 and had a 20 inch barrel and birch stock and was produced most of the 70's. in my opinion, unless you have a NIB mohawk, a well done bedding job will not affect the value. but i'm suprised you had to do it because they are usually very accurate stock. my bone stock 600 mag 350 will shoot MOA out past 200 yards.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

I did find it shot well and the factory stock was free floated barrel,but the action up front had a lot of side clearance.I tested it by slipping a dollar between the side and the stock after the recoil lug and it would slip in easy.I only skim coated the front of the action and the recoil lug area and about 1 1/2" into the barrel channel gun shrunk the group down to 3 shots in one hole bed job came out excellent NO AIR POCKETS.
I was lucky to find the Mohawk with the factory stock a little darker the the color (blond) this stock I would say is not factory walnut but had a darker color and more on the look of walnut.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 04:48 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF
Don't recall ever seeing a 600 or 660 with a birch stock,
Oh, it's birch alright..I'll never forget my first "Mohawk" in 308..I went to set the rifle against a tree, and when I let the buttstock down on a hunk of stone, the toe of the stock split clean off!

I never fancied these rifles as tackdrivers..Bought one in 6mm Rem. once and it would shoot only factory loads satisfactorily..Couldn't get a handload to shoot.Had a regular 600 in 222 Rem. and it too shot less than stellar groups......Never had a problem with my 6.5 or my 350.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 05:15 PM

I might be wrong, but I believe the Mohawks were sold
in chain stores, Walmart, Kmart, etc. My dad had a 222
that shot extremely well, I had one in 308 for awhile
and sold it. I currently have one in .35 Remington, but
its not a Mohawk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page