What .30-30 bullet has worked best for you? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Banned

What .30-30 bullet has worked best for you?

I've shot a fair amount of game with the Winchester 170 Silvertip and have found it to be a very dependable killer of deer size game. As a matter of fact on the last day of rifle deer season in 2004 I saw an 8 point buck at 200 yards. I had no way to get closer and since I had my open sighted 30-30 in my hands I was upset with myself for leaving the .30-06 at home. I was sure I could hit the buck but I didn't trust the 170 Silvertip's killing power at 200 yards. At the shot the buck ran 25 yards and collapsed dead. I had hit him right behind the shoulder and the bullet even exited at that range. I've also had good luck with the 150 and 170 grain Win. Power Points but that episode gave me a profound respect for the Silvertip load.
I may also mention that the 170 Silvertip saved my hide in 2003. I had shot a bull moose at over 150 yards with my .30-06 and he went into some very thick cover. I wanted to give him a half hour so I went back to my truck. I had my open sight 30-30 in the truck which I grabbed in place of my scoped '06 because of the dense cover I saw the Moose disappear into. When I came upon the bull it was at ten yards and even though he was bedded he came to his feet and lowered his head in an attempt to charge. My .30-30 snapped to my shoulder and barked. He went back down but was getting back up when I got around the side of him and put two in his heart. That settled the situation down in a hurry and upon gutting I found two perfectly mushroomed 170 Silvertips in his heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 02:42 PM
The Man

Re: What .30-30 bullet has worked best for you?

I've shot five deer with the 30-30, and used a different bullet for each deer, now that I think about it...Most accurate has been the 170 gr. Hornady flat-point that I worked up a load for..Shot an eight point through the heart and it ran about twenty yards and flipped over...I shot my first deer, a button buck, with a 150 gr. Winchester Power-Point...Same thing. It ran about twenty yards. I made probably the luckiest shot of my life on a doe that was running flat-out at about 80 yards, with a Sierra 150 gr. round nose. Deer flipped right over (about three times)...The 170 gr. Silvertip has worked well, and it is my personal favorite because it is uniquely "Winchester"..It just goes with the Model 94!....Years ago I loaded some Speer 110gr. hollow points for a friend, and he dropped a buck right in its tracks with one, now I'm stuck loading these for him for life!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 02:52 PM

150gr Core-lokt has always done the job on deer for me. Never shot anything other than deer and targets with them. Never saw the need for a 170gr, but nothing against them. Haven't hunted with a thudy-thudy in years though. I tend to like heavy for caliber bullets so I'd probably try out 170gr pills if I ever carry one again.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Years ago I loaded some 150 gr Centrex bullets if memory is correct with 30 gr of 3031. Dropped 10 or deer with them with only one getting up. It went back down at second shot. I have been shooting 170 gr Rem Corelokts lately and they have not failed me. I also have some 170 gr Hornady loads to try on deer soon.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've killed lots of deer with the Remington 150 gr Cor-Lok. Over the years I've also loaded the 170 rem Cor-Lok and they seem to work identical as the 150 grainer, perfectly.

The 150 Hornady is also very good on deer. These three bullets have probably killed over 30 deer for me.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

I like the 170 grain sized bullets for the 30-30. However make mine cast bullets. IMO the performance is every bit as good if not better than jacketed in a 30-30. And since I cast them myself a box of 100 costs about $3, and that is for the GC's. For practice I don't even need the GC's. Tom.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 05:35 PM

150 grain Winchester silver tips.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 07:39 PM

I have 2 30-30's. One happens to like 170 grain Remington Core-Lokts and the other one likes 150 grain Federal Flat points.

So, If I take the Winchester for a walk, I grab the ones in the green box. For the Glenfield, It's the blue and grey box.

I feel that pretty much any bullet made for deer-sized game in the 30-30 will work just fine. Just choose the one that your particular rifle shoots the best and go hunting.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 08:04 PM

I like the 170gr win power points. All deer hit with them has dropped in feet not yards. Dont hunt with the 30-30 much but I am going to carry it a few time next season.

life member of nahc
buckmasters member
pa fly fish member
nra member
ducks unlimited member
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 08:18 PM

Moosehunter, when my dad gave me his 30.30 he also gave me his box of Peters, when I bought mine it was 170 Silver tips. Thats what I used in 300 savage onlt in 150's. Good ol win. Silver tips good bulletsIMO....later

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page