why benelli - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
The Man

why benelli

i have a stoeger m2000. i like the gun for the most part. like the weight, the way it pulls up, inertia bolt...etc

i have been reading more about the benelli SBE 11 , and for some reason my twisted mind thinks i may need one.

i would like opinions on what makes the benelli worth the money ? is it less recoil? certainly the fact that it holds 3 1/2" and the stoeger only holds 3", doesnt justify close to a $1000 differance in price.

learn me something

Your never to old to learn something stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:26 AM

Re: why benelli

You get what you pay for. the fit, finish, quality of parts, etc of a Benelli are head and shoulders above the Stoeger. I had an original, H&K import SBE I. That thing shot like a machine gun. I still kick myself for selling it.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 01:25 AM

There not even close to being the same gun....shoot one and you will be able to tell the difference.... My uncle has the same stoeger as you and I have a benelli M1 super 90. He was so proud he saved $600 dollars and got one thats just like a benelli. Every time it jams in the field (which is quite often)I tell him he should have got a real benelli. Fit Finish and quality arent even close to being the same. I told him the stoeger is a ford station wagon, ya its a Ford but my benelli is a Ford GT mustang. If you wanted top performance which one would you pick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 01:38 AM

I forgot to mention resale value. I sold my SBE for more than I paid for it. I was looking to maybe get another SBE I ( I don't like the looks of the SBE II) but they still fetch a premium price.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

Obviously the Benelli and the Stoeger are on different ends of the spectrum. So obviously they would not compare.

But I wolud definitely shoot some of the better qualtiy shotguns before I laid my money down for a Benelli. I have shot several of them. And they are great shotguns. But I do not think they are worth the price. Just the idea of a cheaper stock at a higher price turns me off. And they market on that by calling it a "Black Eagle"?? How about "black marketing plastic gimmick". Tread lightly and slowly, then try some other shotguns before you decide. You might save alot of money. Heck look for an older Beretta or 1100 Remington. Tom.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 01:11 PM
The Man

I have a Benelli SBE I, it shoots under any condition I've had it in and all season long with no cleaning. I tore my apart the other day after a full season of waterfowl hunting and was astonished at the amount of crud in it. Dirt, leaves, straw, it was all in there.

I had a friend who bought a Stoeger because "They're exactly like the Benelli, just less $." After hunting with him a bunch this fall he's not saying that anymore. His gun was either jammed up or rendered to a single shot on more than once occasion while my gun was still firing away with no problems.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

For the same money you can do better and get a Beretta or Browning GAS operated gun.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 03:40 PM

I don;t see it the same way.... I just bought a SBEII a couple of years ago. Here is how I came to purchase it. I wanted a light weight turkey gun first. But I also wanted something for waterfowl and upland game.
So I looked at The browning Gold, Barreta Extrema, and the SBEII. All guns have great reputations, though I have talked to people who have had the browing and baretta jam. The people I know own the SBEII never had problems. Slightly more people I know have the SBEII. I only knew a few that had the browning and baretta. One of them switched over to the SBEII after 2 seasons of waterfowl hunting.

The main factor for me was shouldering the gun. The browning and baretta both felt like I was holding a 2x4 to my shoulder. The SBEII was a way better fit and seemed lighter.

Next came the price, yes the price for the SBEII was slightly more. I think around $130 more. That being said, all the guns are over $1,000 and not cheap. If the price difference is the problem, then maybe you should not be purchasing the gun in the first place as neither of them are cheap. If your spending $1,000 plus dollars, you should buy the gun that fits/feels the best.

In regards to the stocks being plastic, well its a good or bad thing depending on what you are looking for. I was looking for a work horse gun that can take me being hard on it, so in my case the stock is perfect. The gun more the justifies itself in other areas.

In regards to the Stoegers, I never saw/shot one so I can't comment
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 03:48 PM
The Man

Quote:
For the same money you can do better and get a Beretta or Browning GAS operated gun.
Amen........Ill take a good gas gun over that Inertia garbage any day............so you might have to take the forend off, and clean the gas ports out every couple hunts.....big deal, that takes 10 seconds.......

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 04:07 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822
Quote:
Amen........Ill take a good gas gun over that Inertia garbage any day............so you might have to take the forend off, and clean the gas ports out every couple hunts.....big deal, that takes 10 seconds.......
As opposed to never having to do that or worry about it...

I've heard plenty of guys complain about the inertia system. I've had my gun for 8 years now, clean it once or twice a season and it's in everything from swamp muck, to mud in a cornfield to sand on the beaches of Lake Erie when we're diver hunting in 80 degree weather for early season geese and doves to 0 degree weather in the late season and never had a problem other than 1 single time it froze up after I fell into the lake when it was below freezing out. But, I've seen my friends with GAS operated guns jam up in the same conditions...

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page