Silencers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Silencers

I am sure some of you have bought silencers for your guns.
What was the paperwork process and did you get a trust?

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 03:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have not by my friend did, he went to a gun shop in Jersey Shore that handles that kind of thing and said it was pretty straight forward. They sold the suppressor and took care of all the paperwork. No Trust, not sure why you would want to do one for a suppressor.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 11:03 PM

I built both of mine, along with a few short barrelled rifles, and completed the Form 1's online. I created a trust to make the process a little easier. There was no need for fingerprints and picture if going the trust route instead of individual. However, 41P went into effect this past July which requires prints and photos be submitted for all individuals listed on the trust for any applications submitted after July. There are still advantages to a trust though. If the silencer is owned by the trust, any trustee can take it when and where they want. If it is registered to an individual, that person must be with the suppressor. Your adult child, wife, parent, etc. (if they are a trustee) could use it, take it to the range, etc. without you being present.

If a shop has a silencer you want, you and or the shop submit the paperwork, photo, prints and or trust after you pay for the silencer. Then you wait. I'm still waiting on a stamp for an application I submitted late June. Once the shop receives your approval/stamp, you can pick it up.

If a local shop does not have the silencer you want and your shop has to order one in, you will add additional time to the wait because the ATF has to approve the shipment of the silencer from one shop to the other and your paperwork cannot be sent in until your shop takes possession

Last edited by glock3540; 03-12-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:01 PM
The Man

I have one but live in Md. so here is what I had to do. I paid for it up front and dealer gave me paper work. First filled out Md. goofy thing and took them 3 months to get it back, then had to forward that part to ATF. Atf will take 6 months but you have to do your state thing first. It cost like 200.00 and good for life. best thing to do is send it in and forget about it then one day you will get a surprise through the mail. On the other hand save your money I dont think they are worth it. If your expecting like you see on tv you will be disappointed.
bohunr likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:06 PM
The Man

I didn't create a trust. Application was pretty simple and straightforward. Fill it out. Get fingerprinted. Get your chief of police to sign off for you and send it in. If you get it back in 6 months, count yourself as one of the lucky ones. I've spoken to several people who waited over a year. No big deal.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Vendor

I recently bought my first one and can't wait to get it in hand!! My A17 will be even more fun next spring!

I had no idea how to do it and used Silencer Shop for the entire transaction. I called them and spent a half hour or so on the phone with a guy. He was extremely informative and explained the difference between a couple of different trust options. I chose one that allows the trustees to have possession of the silencer without me. My wife doesn't shoot so my primary goal reason for this is that I go on annual varmint shooting trips with a buddy and this setup allows him to be legal if he is driving my truck to the store or something with my suppressor in the rig without me. Also, if he goes on a trip for a weekend that I can't tag along, he can borrow my suppressor.

Silencer Shop has a kiosk at local gun shops that allow you to go in and electronically do your fingerprinting on the spot! And they have an app for smart phones so you can take your required photo of yourself with your phone and upload it to them using their app!

Again...this has been my one and only experience with suppressors to date, but it was very easy.

Good luck!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:22 PM

i have heard unless you are using sub sonic ammo in your gun, you are still going to get that "CRACK" when you shoot the gun even with a silencer.

as Outofstater said, its not like tv. look at the silencer videos on u tube.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:13 PM

Ancient Chinese saying: "Silence is golden, let us be rich".

bohunr likes this.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 08:07 PM

I can't justify the cost of both the suppressor and the stamp. Maybe if one of these new hearing protection bills passes it will be easier and cheaper. It just doesn't make sense for the shooting and hunting that I do. Recoil isn't a concern for me. I wear hearing protection when at the range. The only time I could see myself using one would be on a shotgun for waterfowl or small game if I'm getting a fair amount of shooting in, but at the same time I wouldn't want a suppressor on my shotgun throwing off my swing and all.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

Having a Trust or LLC will also limit your liability, so it's not to just to avoid doing finger prints as some would suggest. There were a lot of positives to going the Trust/LLC route.

I can always tell I'm on Hunting PA as there are some FUDD mentality in these comments.

If you don't want to buy a factory suppressor...you can always build your own. It's not that difficult and you can buy DIY kits that are very effective and much less than a brand name suppressor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page