Zastava Arms - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Zastava Arms

Anyone have any knowledge regarding Zastava rifles? It is a very stylish rifle. I have one but I don't know the caliber. I have it narrowed down to the 25 cal. range. 25-06 brass will not allow the bolt to close. Close but not close. I am thinking possibly a 257 Roberts. Serbia made. Is a bolt action and appears to hold 4 in the mag. I tried the two suppliers who import the weapon; however, neither have records on the serial number. It is not stamped with the caliber. I removed the stock to check not numbers none. A local gunsmith tells me he can make a chamber casting, but is not always able to determine for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:54 AM
Frequent Contributor

You could make this a fun project and do a chamber casting yourself with Cerrosafe. Then take your measurements and start researching.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:54 AM

6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser would be my guess. Casting is the best thing to do. I WOULD NOT do any kind of trial/error testing which appears to be where you were headed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Not prepared to fire a round until I am sure. A 6.5X55 is my second GUESS so far. My investigation was to narrow down the possibilities.
It appears a .244 bullet is to small when place at the muzzle and a 270 is too large. Therefore in the .25 range?? Reviewing the Zastava site the there is no real match of the action nor safety. Of the choices it shows mags. as 5+1, 4+1 and 3+1. This gun has a 4+1 and the list only shows .243 & .308 of which it is neither. This gun appears to be a replica of a Weatherby Vanguard. It has a safety on the right side which flips up and down and is longer than I have seen on other guns.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

A .25 cal bullet will fit snugly into most 6.5 caliber barrels. So, if a .25 cal bullet can be dropped into the barrel or pushed in (not hammered in) and a 6.5 bullet cannot, it is likely a 6.5 barrel. If the .25 cal bullet does not drop/push in without much difficulty, it is likely a .25 barrel. With no markings on the barrel, I'm guessing it was rebarreled so you are not likely to find an answer via serial number.

I think slugging the barrel and a chamber cast are the safest options for determining what you have.

I'm not sure what you are calling "close" in terms of chambering a 25-06 cartridge. Neither a .257 Roberts or 6.5 Swede chamber should come anywhere near being able to close the bolt on a .26-06 cartridge.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
Anyone have any knowledge regarding Zastava rifles? It is a very stylish rifle. I have one but I don't know the caliber. I have it narrowed down to the 25 cal. range. 25-06 brass will not allow the bolt to close. Close but not close. I am thinking possibly a 257 Roberts. Serbia made. Is a bolt action and appears to hold 4 in the mag. I tried the two suppliers who import the weapon; however, neither have records on the serial number. It is not stamped with the caliber. I removed the stock to check not numbers none. A local gunsmith tells me he can make a chamber casting, but is not always able to determine for sure.
Might it be this one? Sporting rifle M70 Standard | Zastava-arms

Or this one? Sporting Rifle M70 American Style | Zastava-arms

Technical Characteristics tab show what they chamber in.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
Not prepared to fire a round until I am sure. A 6.5X55 is my second GUESS so far. My investigation was to narrow down the possibilities.
It appears a .244 bullet is to small when place at the muzzle and a 270 is too large. Therefore in the .25 range?? Reviewing the Zastava site the there is no real match of the action nor safety. Of the choices it shows mags. as 5+1, 4+1 and 3+1. This gun has a 4+1 and the list only shows .243 & .308 of which it is neither. This gun appears to be a replica of a Weatherby Vanguard. It has a safety on the right side which flips up and down and is longer than I have seen on other guns.
The Vanguard the the Zastava are based on mauser actions(as are many other rifles) so there may be some similarities. Is this a newer gun or an old military surplus sort of rifle? Some pictures may be helpful.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If it was mine I would take it to a competent gunsmith who has the proper pins, gauges, and tools to accurately measure the bore and chamber.

Good luck, Tony
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:16 PM
The Man

Zastava sold rifles AND actions.

Guessing someone bought an action and had the gun built from there. So it could be ANYTHING.

Cast the chamber and be SURE of what you have.

demokraten saugen
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut10 View Post
Zastava sold rifles AND actions.

Guessing someone bought an action and had the gun built from there. So it could be ANYTHING.

Cast the chamber and be SURE of what you have.
Might be something the that. The gun belongs to by buddies widow. He was a gun smith.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page