gunbroker.com - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

gunbroker.com

Im looking to buy a new pistol and I've been searching on gunbroker.com
I was hoping that some HPAers could help me out in regards to how it works
Are there any catches or tricks that I should be aware of before registering and bidding?
Thanks in advance

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 12:23 PM
The Man

Re: gunbroker.com

Nope, I've bought and sold about 35 guns on there throughout the years. All of my transactions went very well with no hitches. It's nice and easy to find the best prices on there.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 12:27 PM
The Man

I've bought many guns on Gunbroker..Add approx $50 to the price of your winning to account for the shipping and transfer costs..Figure this when you are bidding..The good thing is there is no sales tax if your purchase is from out-of-state.
Most bids will come within the last minute of the auction if it is a HOT item..Make sure you see enough pictures and pay close attention to them..Ask the seller questions before you bid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

one heads up. make arrangements with your local ffl before even bidding. that way you know his proceedures and costs. no nasty surprises.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ken
Most bids will come within the last minute of the auction if it is a HOT item
A late bid may come in but the auction will always extend at least 15 minutes from the last bid, so there really can't be any last minute bids. It's not like ebay.

I buy and sell and have listings on it now. It's a good place to sell because there are no listing fees unless you use the premium features and the listing can be setup to automatically relist. I think the sell fees are reasonable too. The biggest problem for a buyer is some/many ffl will no longer accept a shipped gun from a non-licensee. So you need to have an ffl that will accept a gun or be prepared to also pay the senders ffl fee along with your receiving fee and the shipping. But that would apply selling here or anyway else too if you need to ship interstate or a handgun.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:21 PM

I was looking for a particular muzzleloading pistol and one kept coming up on gunbroker from the same dealer in western maryland. I would bid a fair price right off and I noticed three things. My bid would be beat during the last 10 minutes and the exact same gun would be listed two weeks later with the note that the successful bidder failed to pay. The third time it happened I emailed a complaint to gun broker. The gun stopped showing up, but I never got more than a form response. Frankly I think that seller was trying to run up the bids. (A felony in PA, IIRC) I got another gun of that model from another seller for less, so I'm happy. I purchased several guns, mostly muzzleloaders though,.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Another question
I noticed a ruger 9mm that went to the end of the auction with no bids and no reserve price
Is this the kinda deal that you want to jump on or is there usually more to the story
It seems as though there are a bunch of items that go to the end of the auction with no bidders. Is it common.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sure its common. Means no one is finding the item attractive at the starting price. When you search for something click on "completed auctions" and you'll see many items that have been relisted many, many, many, times with no bids. When you list something it defaults to 50 automatic relists, so basically it will relist for a year. Not unlike a gun sitting on a shelf in a gunshop waiting for the right person to come along.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehill
one heads up. make arrangements with your local ffl before even bidding. that way you know his proceedures and costs. no nasty surprises.
Yep, and if you're buying from a private (non FFL) individual seller, make sure they have an FFL shop they can ship from, because some shops here will only accept from another FFL not an individual.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I buy a couple guns a year off of gunbroker.Be careful the good sellers will have lots of good clear pictures and a good description.Fuzzy pictures and vaque descriptions watch out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page