Mauser 98 bolt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Mauser 98 bolt

I have problem with mine.I was simply installing a new ejector and the safety flipped to fire.No biggie there.We all know you can pull the lug back and put it back on.However my arm may have been at a funny angle and the part at the top of the firing pin came off.Again no problem I figured out how to get the bolt stripped to the main parts.It is just like doing a field strip.However my bolt is off a quarter off a turn when reassembled.It has a Buehler safety.If assembled in the proper position the safety is locked.Any idea?It will go together properly without the safety included.I have even tried intalling the safety last.It won't install.I have watched every you tube video out there and it will not work as shown.It fuctioned flawlessly with the exeption of not tossing out the spent round before.I see no damage to any part of the bolts.Any ideas before a gunsmith at $80 an hour?

Bob Seger,till it shines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 PM

Re: Mauser 98 bolt

Possibly turning the bolt collar too far?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetam
Possibly turning the bolt collar too far?
Thats my only guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Actually comparing it to my 270 bolt I think it has to go another turn or two.It clicks in place before it should.Thats my opinion anyhow.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Shot in the dark here. Does it (the bolt) simply need re-cocked?

Muab

"There is no District 12"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Well I wish it were that simple.It right now sits on my desk cocked in the safe position.The cocking of the bolt got me where I am right now.I have had it apart numerous times.Is there something inside of it that may turn?I know the firing pin has lugs it fits into.Inside the bolt body there are recesses for it.I know it will not turn.I tried with a long screwdriver.The bolt head will screw on and click.It is not all the way on and in the wrong position.Would pics help?To me a Mauser 98 bolt should be simple.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pics would help alot. Take some and post'm and maybe that'll show some here what's going on. Not sure what you mean by "bolt head".

"There is no District 12"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 08:14 PM

are you sure the cocking piece is all the way on the firing pin ?

when you assemble the bolt are you depressing the sleeve latch plunger twice ? once to clear the bolt handle & again to enter the locking notch.

NRA life member
DU member
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

With an aftermarket on or off 2 position safety instead of the original 3 position it needs to be uncocked to assemble.So embarrasingly enough it never had a problem until I read on the net how to recock the bolt.I could have simply placed it in the gun and all would have been fine.I got into the mess fitting a new extractor.It still needs some tweaking.It may be next winters project as I have found several other ground hog spots to hunt where they are already out.Got a new one today as a matter of fact.Then I was told he farms more of this local area than any one else by an impartial person.He is supposed to farm more area than the others combined.I think I'll form my own opinion and have a look myself.Thanks for the help to all but it was solved by a member whom I feel wishes to remain nameless.Very nice fellow indeed.Offered to fix it free if I sent it to him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page