Deer Hunting Rifle Suggestions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Deer Hunting Rifle Suggestions

Guys, I hunt deer with a bow for may reasons, but mostly because it difficult. I'm one of those guys that likes to do difficult things and succeed at them..With that said, I also like venison and I'm a jerky addict...Some years I do very well archery hunting, others, not so much. I've recently decided to hunt deer with a rifle this year and need some help/suggestions on a setup. I am not interested in a synthetic stock (I like the look and feel of natural hard wood) and I would like something in a 30-06 or 270 bolt action. Have any of you picked up any new rifles this past year and have some suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Edit* My budget is $1200 or less for both rifle and scope combined.

Previously JJ5C

Last edited by JJ4D; 02-16-2017 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:53 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Go to a lot of gun shops or pawn shops and look at the used rifle rack...Try to find a Winchester rifle which are high quality compared to other makes...A Winchester model 70,270 caliber rifles are nice...Get a good Burris or Nikon scope to top it off...If you go to bass pro or Cabelas you can look through the optics before you buy...
Macs' Mountain likes this.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:55 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Id be looking at used Rem 700s in nice condition. And I wouldn't pass up a nice one in 308, 7/08, or 280 rem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you want to restock, you can get a brand new 700 ADL from Wally World or Rural King and Remington has rebates for around 75 bucks. Probably OTD for 325ish with tax and NICS fee. A stock you can finish that you want on your rifle can be had for less than 150, plus stuff to finish (You said you like to work for stuff) A Leopold 2-7 x 33 should come in at around 500 max and is more than enough scope for a deer rifle in PA and shots 300 and under.

edit as triggers were mentioned, a Timney sportsmans trigger is still under budget

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Last edited by Varmintmist; 02-16-2017 at 02:13 PM.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:53 AM
Frequent Contributor

I'm sure you will get all kinds of suggestions what type rifle to buy with your budget. As some has said go to shops and shoulder the rifle what fits you best. As for scopes? Take them outside to look thru. There gonna look good looking thru in a well lite store.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like wood too.
With a $1200 budget you shouldn't have any trouble finding a good used deer rifle. I would start my search at a good gun shop with a good reputation.
Varmintmist suggestion on a Leopold 2 x 7 is spot on. Keep the scope set to 2 power when hunting, if you need more, you will have time to turn it up.
I would look at 308's if your going to just hunt deer and black bear. If you think you may hunt elk sometime then look for a 06, if you have no problem with recoil. A good USA made Winchester, Remington, or Ruger will fill the bill for make.
If you have not done so, fire a couple of different calibers to see how you handle recoil.
Once you purchase the firearm buy 3 or 4 boxes of different brands of ammo to see what the rifle likes, along with different weights of bullets, 150 , 165, 180 grain. If you find one thats a real tack driver, go back to the shop and buy all he has with that lot number.
Take the rifle to a good gun smith and have him work the trigger to 3 pounds.
Once you have the rifle sighted in with the best ammo start practicing with it, standing , keeling, and sitting, get off the bench. You can use the ammo that doesn't shoot that well for this. Practice at 25 yards, 50 yards, out to 100 yards, using a 9" paper plate to just get the feel of the rifle. Right now you want to just hitting the plate consistently. "Aim small miss small"
Even after all this you may have enough money to take the wife or girl friend out for dinner.
Remember the age old saying, "Beware of the man with one rifle, he probably knows how to use it".

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

You'll get lots of dissent here, but in my opinion, at least $400 of your budget should be going on a scope. Figure another $50 for mounts. That leaves about $750 for the rifle. There are lots of options here and many of them are used. For a new walnut stocked rifle, I'd probably be looking at a Tikka (T3/T3x Hunter), Weatherby (Vanguard Sporter), Ruger (Hawkeye), or Savage (114). With some searching you will likely be able to find new 700's, 70's, 550's at that price but it could take a while. In the used market, you could find just about anything. The bottom line is handle some rifles and see what you like. There are lots of good ones out there but find what suits you.

BTW a Meopro 3.5-10x44 can be had for $350. That would be one of the few sub $400 scopes I would endorse for this package.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:04 PM

i never thought i would say this..But WAIT!!
right now the market is crap.. wait till they finalize the whole semi auto for the year..
if it goes in to deer and bear you will see a good amount of guys trying to get there rifle sold off to get a 600 dpms 308 an or other.
while you are waiting look around at scopes and finger different rifles on your down time to get a feel of what your looking for.
spend some time reading about different calibers to get a handle on what you could want to shoot and what you dont want to shoot.
then just keep your eyes open on the local forums an such..
i have a good feeling if the semi passes for big game.. you will see a lot of people trying to dump there rifle.
Macs' Mountain likes this.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is some merit in waiting, particularly as we get closer to tax time. People trade with their return, or sell to make up slack. 1-15 Apr is good used gun rack watching time.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

If your gun is going to be in the 700-750 range before optics and your looking for a wood stock I look long and hard at a Savage 14 American Classic. Mine is in 250 savage and is a tack driver. The accutrigger is the best stock trigger on the market in my opinion. Everyone I know who has a 14 AC talks about how accurate they are right out of the box.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page