Current lever action rifles - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Current lever action rifles

Yesterday I attended the huge Sportsman's Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. I handled nearly all the current lever action rifles and carbines. The "new" Marlins seem quite well made to me. Same goes for the Rio Grande model by Rossi. I thought the Mossberg 464 seemed a little rough to operate in comparison. But still a good rifle; my nephew has one. Winchester model 94 and 71 are pricey imports but exceptionally well made. Browning's BLR is tops but so is pricing. Smoothest of all are the modified Marlins built by Wild West Guns of Alaska. The representative explained that the internal parts are polished.

I did not handle the new Henry Long Ranger because of the large crowd at this display booth.

Today's consumers have a wide choice of lever actions to choose from.

TR

Fire Up the Grill! Hunting is not Catch and Release!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 09:23 AM

I own a lot of levers, including Savage, Marlin, Henry, Winchester and Browning. IMO, the BLRs are the Cadillacs of the lever actions. Sometimes it pays to buy quality.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
I own a lot of levers, including Savage, Marlin, Henry, Winchester and Browning. IMO, the BLRs are the Cadillacs of the lever actions. Sometimes it pays to buy quality.
Had a blr in 308 nice gun but sold it after I bought a savage 99f in 308. I like the savage 99 a lot more but of course they don't make them anymore. but you can find a nice used one in excellent condition for the same price as a blr and the value will continue to rise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 03:50 PM

I like traditional levers. I'd rather use a levergun but I'd rather use a bolt gun than a BLR or Lone Ranger. The new Marlins are getting better every year.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 04:33 PM
The Man

There is a reason their was a crowd at the Henry booth.I don,t like the BLR I seen at a shop the other day.Sides,I wouldn,t own a classic named rifle with a Jap stamp on it which is all Brownings and Winnie levers.John Wayne would be spinnin in his grave if he knew.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

I just picked up my Henry Big Boy Steel 44Mag. Fit and finish are excellent. Action is nice and smooth and trigger is surprisingly nice. I'm very impressed with this Henry.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:33 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

See if you can track down a Sako Finnwolf. If Marlin is the Cadillac, then the Sako Finnbear is a 600 Mercedes Benz AMG.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanHillHunter View Post
I just picked up my Henry Big Boy Steel 44Mag. Fit and finish are excellent. Action is nice and smooth and trigger is surprisingly nice. I'm very impressed with this Henry.
I'm a big fan of the Henry myself. I have a 45/70 and a 22 mag, both golden boys. Action is real smooth and they shoot great. I like older Marlins as well, the new ones not so much.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmaster View Post
I'm a big fan of the Henry myself. I have a 45/70 and a 22 mag, both golden boys. Action is real smooth and they shoot great. I like older Marlins as well, the new ones not so much.
It's my first Henry and I'm really impressed. I have the big boy in .327 fed mag on advanced order with my dealer. I'm really interested in these new long rangers. One of those in a .243 would be a sweet little rig.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:30 PM

i know this thread is about current lever actions and If I were in the market for one it would be a henry in a 45/70. this being said i have a mod 94 pre WWII serial # in the 250k and it is so smooth and shoots really well. three in high at 50 yds and on at 100 with the iron sights using core locks. It is not drilled or tapped for a scope and never will

Friends don't let friends buy inlines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page