So, now that PA has joined the "Modern Sporting Rifle" revolution, let's hear what everybody is planning or thinking about!!
Most of you are in the same boat as me - do you have any real, logical
reason to get another deer rifle or groundhog rifle?
Of course not
But, be honest, we all jump on any flimsy reason to get into another project or buy another gun!
So, I've been thinking about my next rifle and it has to good for everything from Groundhogs to Coyotes to Deer. I'm leaving Bear out of this equation because I hunt it so infrequently. Also don't think this would get much use on Fox, since most of my dedicated Fox hunting is now done with a .22 WMR to save fur. Edited to add> And, I am not in the camp that thinks the 223/5.56 is a deer gun. Now, I could throw a scope on my AK for deer, but what about the off chance of a coyote out beyond 200 yards?!
At this moment, I'm leaning towards the following
- Flattop AR platform in 6.5 Creedmoor, 20 inch barrel.
- I'm thinking it should be a middle weight, not too light and not a big bull barrel heavy deal.
- It has to have a forearm that has and extended top rail and easily accepts side rails for lights and what-not. Although, I might opt for a key-mod forearm because I'm not a real fan of the jagged configs that have exposed pica-tinny rails all around.
- Torn between direct impingement or gas piston
, although market availability and price my decide that.
- Scope choice still TBD
. It would be cool to go thermal, but who has that kind of $$$?
- above all , it must be a sturdy reliable workhorse.
So there's my project, what's yours?