Glock 19 owners - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Glock 19 owners

Does anyone reload for the Glock 19? If so any suggestions on a good load. Uses are CC, home protection and just shooting targets at the club to stay sharp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Re: Glock 19 owners

Don't own a 19 but have shot it and bunches of glocks....haven't found one with a picky diet...feed it whatever you can get cheaply for the range....walmart sells winchester or UMC or federal stuff about as cheap as anywhere...

For carry, pick a good bullet designed for the job...lot out there...

Stay away from straight lead bullet...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Frequent Contributor

SAS do you have an idea what weight you want to shoot? That would have a lot of bearing on recommendations. I like mid to heavy side of the argument. As in...124gr or 147gr. Last box of Rainer's I bought were quite nice. For punching holes in paper you don't need a spankin new box of XTP's. Just get a decent bullet an load'm up. *4.7 of 231 with a 147gr bullet was my practice load for yrs.
IF you want to shoot lead in the Glock you can BUT you need to get an aftermarket barrel to do so as the factory barrel can have the "leading" issues previously mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 01:14 AM
The Man

Is 9mm even cost effective for reloading? I mean if you really really enjoy it great, but after the cost and time it seems like to me that you'd be better of purchasing in bulk.

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 11:48 AM

Is is worth reloading when factory ammo becomes unavailable. Remember the great ammo shortage of 2009? I had plenty to shoot.

I load 115 gr JHP for practice. Alliant Power Pistol is the best powder I've found. Alliant Unique is a good second choice. See Alliant manual for load data.

Use only factory ammo for carrying/protection. Reloads can cause a legal nightmare if used in a defensive situation.

Rich Deerhunter
Cochranville, PA
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I bought dies, but just buy bulk. Same with 30 Carbine, although the last 500 rounds of 30, I bought were getting pricey.

I gave away my shotshell loader, after I quit trap shooting; it was easier to just buy bulk. From a cost perspective, reloading pays a few cents and hour.
I still reload for my 20+ rifles and fine I shoot those a lot. and can customize the rifle reloads for accuracy you can't often buy.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 03:21 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by richdeerht
Is is worth reloading when factory ammo becomes unavailable. Remember the great ammo shortage of 2009? I had plenty to shoot.
Ammo won't be "unavailable" if you stock pile. Not knocking reloading I'd love to start for my 223, but 9mm seems more of a hobby then cost effective.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Factory loads only for SD/CC. Seems the Corbon DPX load in 9mm is getting all the thumbs-up from the "authorities" lately for CC/SD - good penetration without over-penetration, feeds well in most guns, etc. Not cheap, but how many do you plan on shooting for real?? And how much are they really worth when you need them?? Only you can answer that. You need to fire a bunch initially to test your gun's ability to feed that load reliably, then put the rest in mag's, and hopefully you never need them.

Others highly recommended based on real shootings, studies and autopsies in 9mm are Speer's 127 gr Gold Dot load, Corbon's JHP load, and others. Apparently, the heavy bullet fad of a few years ago has been disproven in real shootings as not beneficial. Do a Google search for 9mm self defense ammo reviews - lots to read, and not all agree, but you'll start to see real world similarities show up.

If you want to shoot A LOT, and cheapest, then get a non-polygonal replacement barrel for your Glock, and you can shoot lead the cheapest. Fully copper coated Berry's bullets and others don't cost too much more if you're reloading. Large volumes make a Dillon or other progressive loader worth it. Of course, bulk ricing on 9mm ain't too bad right now either, but ammo is supposed to be going up significantly this spring as metal prices have risen a lot, and older stock is being sold out.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 03:44 PM

keystone, other than the press and initial equipment cost of reloading, it is more cost efficient to reload...even for the 9mm etc...pistol powder will last forever..cases are good for a while and if you pick up brass left at ranges, you'll have tons...and theres many bulk bullets out there that are fine for target shooting that arent really expensive at all...1000 copper plated bullets for under 100$...

if you find a 1000rd case of 9mm for under 100$ BUY 10!!

the days of 100-150$ cases of 9mm, 223, 7.62x39 etc are long gone...

but, primers and powder can be tough to find...things have finally let up and you can find them now..but theres talk of it all getting hard to come by in the real near future....like most loaders, im going to start stocking up...

i need to start thinking about a progressive press..
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 06:13 PM
The Man

I can still find a case of 9mm for about $200. I figured the price of bullets, powder, cases, etc would still come close to that $200 mark. On top of that add in the time it takes for you to finish all 1,000 rounds and it doesn't seem very cost effective TO ME. To someone who enjoys reloading I could see how they would find it cost effective. But for the minor savings in cost I could go to work for an extra 3 hours or so and then spend the rest of my time shooting that ammo!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page