First Time AR-15 Buyer... I'm going crazy - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

First Time AR-15 Buyer... I'm going crazy

Hey everyone,

So i am looking to buy my first AR, I cannot make up my mind and I feel like my head spins the more and more I research them.

I narrowed it down to 2-3 Colt 6920, S&W M&P Sport II, or the Ruger AR556.

I am leaning away from the S&W because I would really prefer an AR that is in FDE and I can't find hardly any like that. I did find several Ruger and Colt's in FDE on Gunbroker.com.

I don't want to break the bank especially I really probably won't end up shooting it that much, I really just want it for protection. I'm leaning towards the Ruger because of the price point but everything I read says Colt is the best hands down. Can anyone off some insight that may help me decide?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm going to venture a guess and say the Colt is a little more than the Ruger. Shooting wise, they both shoot about the same, same reliability, etc. It's going to come down to aesthetics and feel. Which do you like the look of better, and which feels better in your hands and when you shoulder and sight it. As far as colt being best hands down, that may well be because of the number of LE and Military agencies issuing it. My on duty rifle is a colt, if I was buying budget, it'd be the ruger in my safe. If you are going to spend on the colt, you may as well buy the SR-556.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:44 PM
The Man

Looks like you've already figured this part out...first advice would be to buy a 5.56 so you can shoot both 5.56 and .223.

Aside from the action (direct impingement vs. gas piston) the differences in AR's are hardly noticeable. So if you're not shooting much, any of the three would do the trick. Like Creekside says, I would go by price and aesthetics. Haven't shot the Ruger, but have never owned a Ruger rifle or handgun that wasn't a solid, reliable and accurate weapon.

William will you teach me how to write, Cassius will you show me how to fight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:50 PM
The Man

Since it's for self-defense, I would also take into consideration what attachments you want (flashlight, laser, optics vs. open sights, front grip?) and see how they match up to the factory rail systems of each choice.

William will you teach me how to write, Cassius will you show me how to fight.

Last edited by Bates; 02-06-2017 at 01:59 PM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:01 PM

AERO PRECISION OEM MID-LENGTH 16" RIFLE W/ $25 GIFT CARD | Brownells

I always thought this would be an interesting purchase if I was in the market. Solid budget rifle, but you can finish it out with the stock and handguards of your choice.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 04:23 PM

these days a colt is just in the name... your paying a few extra $$ for it..
the 700-900$ market you are all most getting the same think just with a different name on it.
they are both nice.. S&W used to have r5 barrels now they don't.
most people dont remember when S&W sold there customers out for clinton the first time around.. but they were sold a few years later..
but Ruger has all ways been a name for a company that takes care of there customers... ruger is the way to go out of the three you have..
if you want to jump up in to the 1k range i would go with a sig m400 enhanced you can get it in fde
i got one right before sandy hook and it works grate
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 06:40 PM
The Man

I have Colt and S&W. The S&W is the best buy in my opinion right now. The 6920 is a nice rifle but overpriced again in my opinion.

I have heard that the Ruger uses some proprietary parts. If that is true I would stay away from them.

Your in a unique situation right now. You have a lot of options and prices are competitive.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 06:57 PM

you don't want to spend a lot of money on an AR

lets face it , they are not fancy hunting guns .
there for killing people,
so spend just enough to kill someone who has a better rifle,then take theirs.
put your cash into optics instead

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:29 PM

If you want a solid AR, The Smith MP SPORT 2 is the one. Eats anything you feed it and very accurate... 525 on buds.. cant go wrong...
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavage View Post
these days a colt is just in the name... your paying a few extra $$ for it..
the 700-900$ market you are all most getting the same think just with a different name on it.
they are both nice.. S&W used to have r5 barrels now they don't.
most people dont remember when S&W sold there customers out for clinton the first time around.. but they were sold a few years later..
but Ruger has all ways been a name for a company that takes care of there customers... ruger is the way to go out of the three you have..
if you want to jump up in to the 1k range i would go with a sig m400 enhanced you can get it in fde
i got one right before sandy hook and it works grate

Don't forget about Ruger selling their customers down the river also. I would go with the Colt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page