M1 and magazine capacity - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Location: Emigsville, York Co.; McCarroll Corner, Sullivan Co.
M1 and magazine capacity

Got a question in regards to the "5 round magazine" and M1 Garands. M1's load a clip, not a detachable magazine and I know you can get 5 round clips. So my question is this; when you insert the clip, are you inserting it into a magazine? in other words, is that part on the action consider a magazine? Because if it is a magazine, even though you may load a 5 round clip, the magazine capacity would still be 8 rounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:47 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

It's no different than an AR with a 5rd magazine. The rifle is still capable of receiving a 30rd (or more) capacity magazine.

In the Garand system, the follower and associated mechanism to function the follower, are contained in the rifle, not the magazine.

The clip that feeds it holds the ammunition.

I would think you wouldn't have any issue at all if you have a Garand with 5rd magazines. Have an 8-rounder on you, even an empty one, and you'd face a violation if the WCO were so inclined and knew you had the 8rd clip.

Functionally, this is no different than feeding an AR off a 5rd mag. I can't imagine the PGC would want to split this hair.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:00 PM
The Man

You can load 5 rounds into an M1 clip but I can see where that would be an issue while hunting. Realistically the new semi auto law should allow 10 rounds. It would solve some problems for guys who want to use their military weapons.

I have purchased 5 round clips but I have read where the 8 round clip is easy to modify. I may have to try it and see how hard it is.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Location: Emigsville, York Co.; McCarroll Corner, Sullivan Co.
The way I see it, putting a 5 round clip in a M1 would be no different than putting 2 rounds in unplugged shotgun and going small game hunting. Without doing something to limit the movement of the follower, the magazine capacity is still 8 rounds.

On a sidenote; there was a post here at lunchtime that's not here now, where it go?
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 06:23 PM

I get what you're saying but thats really splitting hairs. As long as the clip doesn't allow you to load more than 5rnds you should be fine. Perhaps you should reach out to the PGC before final approval is given to and have them change the wording before it is finalized.
45-70bpcr likes this.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 06:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You can only load an M1 Garand using the en bloc clips, so as long as you are using 2 or 5 round clips, there would be no issue. Doesn't matter if the "magazine" of the M1 is designed to hold 8 round clips, since you won't be using them.

Already have my 5 round clips!!!!

bohunr, jimsdad, tdd and 1 others like this.

Steve
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:43 PM

That is a fine looking firearm. Congratulations.
bohunr and whil e kioti like this.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:16 PM

I've easily made/converted 8 rnd clips into 2 and 5 rnd clips. A dremel with a cutting wheel and a pair of pliers is all that is needed. Two rounders are made by a lot of guys to use in 10 round matches. Made 3 rounders for my legion post for ceremonies
jimsdad likes this.

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_SP View Post
I've easily made/converted 8 rnd clips into 2 and 5 rnd clips. A dremel with a cutting wheel and a pair of pliers is all that is needed. Two rounders are made by a lot of guys to use in 10 round matches. Made 3 rounders for my legion post for ceremonies
Any problems with function? Did you use a factory 5rd as a model or just play it by ear? I'll have to try this because I have a ton of old 8 rounders laying around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page