Model 1890 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Model 1890

Does anyone know the proper way to repair this firearm.A butt plate screw is missing.I bought a new one.$7.20 shipped.The problem is it just falls in the screw hole.I'm inclined to epoxy the hole or drill it and install a hardwood wooden rod.What I need to know is the proper repair to retain the antique value.Should I leave it as is?This is important to me.I gave the gun to my son for a Christmas present 2 years ago and the screw fell out.He wants me to fix it.He is sad because the gun will go to his son etc.You are not helping me but a 13 year old boy and his possible son.What I want from this is a gun to be in the fifth generation of my family in good condition worthy of value and use.The gun performs quite well.I used it as kid and my son shoots it well.My parents would know where I am on this.I think some of you may as well.This gun was given to me because of the fact my brother would have sold it.Please no smart remarks.This is of intense sentimentel value to our family.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Sage

Re: Model 1890

Put a wooden plug in the hole, don't epoxy or glue it in, the expansion of the wood from the screw will hold it tight.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 10:34 PM
The Man

Elmers wood glue the yellow glue saw dust mixed up with it fill hole let dry insert screw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

I have wooden plugs and Elmers glue but it is brown because the wood I have is all walnut.I know walnut is a good wood.I'm sitting on oveer 400 board feet of it.What I need to know is how to retain the historic value during the repair.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

No one will remove a buttplate to analyze a screw hole repair, its just a matter of taking up the extra space. Someone at some point put the wrong screw in, one that was too large in diameter. Heres the trick I have used and seen used the most. Insert a plug of the same type of wood. You may have to fashion the plug to make it right. Do not glue it or epoxy it, make it tight and flush. Put a few drops of water on the plug every few hours for a day or two. This will expand the plug. Reinstall the buttplate. When done the screw will tighten the plug for good. Most important, you have done nothing that can't be removed, you did not alter or modify the gun.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 02:59 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
Put a wooden plug in the hole, don't epoxy or glue it in, the expansion of the wood from the screw will hold it tight.
What John said. Easy fix.

Venison - The other fast food
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt/fish365
Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
What John said. Easy fix.
DITTO !!!! listen to excellent advice !

NRA life member
DU member
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 05:30 PM
The Man

Just bust a couple of toothpicks off in the hole..........it should tighten right up...

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i had a nice model 14 carbine with loose butt plate screws and i carefully drilled the holes out and inserted hardwood plugs in for a tight fit and then carefully predrilled the holes through the plugs and put the screws back in. rub a little of the sawdust mixed with tiny bit of oil onto the plug area you can barely tell that the holes were filled and drilled. besides, as someone already said, nobody is going to ding you for plugging under the buttplate.

My diploma is a DD Form 214

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page