Express Rust Blue - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I'm in the middle of restoring my 26 year old marlin 30-30. Honestly, I haven't taken very good care of it and never even knew how to pull the bolt out, so it's never even been thoroughly cleaned properly...just a few patches and maybe a light oil wipe down every year for all these years. Finish was worn off in a few spots of the stock and forearm, and I've had some light rust spots on the barrel and receiver over the years (removed pretty well when Ive seen it). But all told, it wasn't in too bad of shape, considering.

My recent delve into the flintlock world has me addicted to disassembling, cleaning, and thoroughly understanding my firearms. So, I've researched a lot, completely disassembled my rifle, and beautifully refinished the stock and forearm (7th thin coat of tru oil drying right now).

The metal doesn't appear all that bad. I've cleaned every part thoroughly and removed any rust. The barrel has some character scratches in the bluing and one that probably needs a few runs of a file. The bluing on the bottom edges of the receiver and a few other high contact areas have worn to white steel. I tested out cold bluing on the receiver, and it worked and looks good from 3-4 feet away...but it's cold blue, so you can definitely see it close up...and I expect it to wear away.

Hot bluing is too hazardous for me to try at home and paying a gunsmith to do it takes all the fun away. After lots of research I've decided to express rust blue with mark lee's solution #1. I'll polish up a small piece and test it out first. If all goes well, I'll remove the blue and polish the barrel, magazine tube, receiver, and the small pieces and screws. Then then plan is degrease, degrease again, torch, rust, boil, card, repeat...until it won't rust anymore. Oil it up and cure it.

Any advice? Tricks for thoroughly degreasing and polishing are welcome...that seems to be the hard part. Recommendation is to polish to 400 grit, but I'm thinking about trying to mirror it up to 1200 before rusting. Stop me if that's a mistake (other than glaring in the woods).

Last edited by Rugged Hunter; 01-30-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

So, it seems that anything over 400 is probably a waste of time with rust bluing...maybe up to 800, but certainly no need for anything finer. The solution needs something to "bite" into and it would etch the surface anyway.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 01:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

Never used the blueing you speak of as I have always had good results with Oxpho-Blue from Brownells. Post up a pic when your done as I would be interested in how it turns out. For polishing pits out I go with a needle file then fine Emery paper. A while back I picked up some rubber impregnated polishing tips for the Dremel. Kit came with thee grits (80, 240,600) and six different shapes. Steel wool after this and ready to blue.

For the stock I like Tru-Oil to fill with and cut it down with 320 finish paper between coats till grain is filled. At seven coats you should be about their. When grain is filled I have started to use Minwax Helmsman spar urethane satin for a final finish. Two coats holds up better than Tu-Oil ever could.

If I get chance will post up a pic of last restoration.

Have fun with your project!

Friends don't make promises they can't keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks! It's been a ton of fun so far! I've never worked with wood before so I've learned a lot. It won't be perfect and might be laughable to someone more experienced, but to my untrained eye it looks very nice. 8th coat is drying...I might take it to 10 or so. I'm using Eezox so I know it won't play well with polyurethane....not sure about how it is with tru oil.

The rust bluing should come out looking very nice if I can do it right, and should be about as durable as a hot blue. I don't expect it to be much more difficult than cold bluing. My solution arrives from brownells in a few days. I've only polished one small piece so far. I want to test it first before I strip the factory blue off of everything else. The metal isn't too bad and I know I can get away with just spot cold blue or nothing at all, if this proves too big for me.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Does anyone know if it's okay to reblue the barrel and receiver together while they're still attached? I have everything completely gutted, except I don't have a barrel vice to separate those two.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 06:43 AM

most shops blue the receiver & barrel together. saves time not taking them apart.

NRA life member
DU member
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thank you!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

Current Stevens restoration in progress. New stock made and receiver reblued. Barrel and checkering are next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170207_124526873.jpg (387.8 KB, 18 views)

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Nice! My bluing solution just arrived today...finally! Is yours rust blued?

Looks like snow day tomorrow...hoping to get it all done.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:54 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Hunter View Post
Is yours rust blued?
Yes... did and used exactly as posted above.

Before and after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170128_133114577.jpg (756.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170205_223836091.jpg (739.2 KB, 15 views)
jimsdad likes this.

Last edited by Pappy84; 02-09-2017 at 02:01 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page