Remington 770 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Remington 770

Anyone own a Rem 770?
I'd like to hear some of your opinions.
I was thinking about a youth model for a new hunter to start out with. I've read mixed reviews from great to horrible. Main complaints are the bolt not being smooth and the scope that comes with it isn't the greatest.
I would more than likely change the scope anyways, and wouldn't be expecting the bolt to be smooth as butter, plus I don't think a youngster would really know the difference.

And for the price I wouldn't mind it getting beat up a little bit. Mainly concerned with the accuracy department.

I would be buying one in a 243

‎"When the mind fails to comprehend, the body must be punished" -3rd Battalion,Parris Island
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Remington 770

Not going to have the most detailed review as I simply borrowed a 770 from my friend, but the bolt was very difficult to lock in. Honestly took me about 5 minutes of fiddling with it in bear season to load a bullet. One time it would be ok and the next it simply didn't want to lock down. This was a new gun that was only shot at the range to sight in, so maybe it just needed broken in. I've been looking at going with the Savage Edge. I've heard pretty good reviews on it, and its reasonably priced as well. Hopefully whatever you choose it works out for the new hunter.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

sgt....I only had one and not a very good experience the accuracy the best I could get with mine was inch and a half at 75 yards. the bolt was weird and almost jam if pushed to hard or too quick. the scope was cheap but that wasn't a big issue at all. it was one of the older 770's not anything recent. I sent it down river for 125.00. Just my opinion and experience that they aren't very good. If I were to choose among youth rifles.....I have purchased 6 for my girls all in 243's I'd keep looking. Once again my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 01:33 PM
The Man

You would think that Remington would just make a cheapened version of the Model 700, Something like the Model 78 that was out around 10 years ago.Birch stock, plastic sights, whatever as long as the Model 700 barreled action is there.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 01:45 PM

Remington's best low-priced rifle is the Marlin XS7 & XL7. No worries here.

Rich Deerhunter
Cochranville, PA
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 41 MagFan

A buddy of mine won one a year ago just before he had a vehicle accident on duty and messed up his back. He was unable to sight the gun in and asked me to do it for him. I didnt have any trouble with the gun and got about 1 1/2 groups with the scope that was on the gun and one brand of 270 loads. I didnt have time to try other loads in the gun but i am sure I could have made that gun shoot better groups. The gun in my opinion is a good value for the price. This rifle for a kid or a first time rifle for someone just starting out is just fine. I had never shot a 270 before and this gun was fun to shoot.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 01:51 PM
New Arrival

One of my friends bought a 770 2 years ago, he was just starting deer hunting and didn't want an expensive rifle. I always shoot 700s, so I may just be spoiled but the bolt on the 770 felt really loose and didn't seem to lock up all that well. He has since traded the gun in and got a Marlin XL7, about the same price as a 770 but it seems like a much better quality rifle and I believe it comes in a youth model too.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by richdeerht
Remington's best low-priced rifle is the Marlin XS7 & XL7. No worries here.

+1
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Got to agree on the XL7, my 06 is sweet.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

The only problem I've found with my Marlin XL7 is that it is chambered for .270. From what I hear Winchester brought out this cartridge to be too big for the small stuff and to small for the big stuff so it would work well on nothing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page