Savage 170 Model B[Cartridge Stop Issue]HELP PLZ - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Savage 170 Model B[Cartridge Stop Issue]HELP PLZ

It appears that the Cartridge Stop seems to be in the wrong position when the bolt is closed. It doesn't seem to be covering the opening to hold the shell in the tube when the bolt is closed. When you go to place a shell in (the tube)there is nothing to hold it in.
However, when one opens the chamber, the "ear" of the Cartridge stop seems to be in what one would consider the correct positioning.

Does anyone have an idea what would be going on.
Do I somehow have the wrong cartridge stop for this rifle. It ejects a spent shell properly, it just will not hold any cartridges in the shell tube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Savage 170 Model B[Cartridge Stop Issue]

If its a 30-30 they were/are always a bugger. They were never quite right even when new. For some reason its mostly the 30-30 ones that present problems. Any good gunsmith will have fixed it before, and its a shame, they are a nice little gun.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Yes its the 30-30 version.
I can purchase a replacement part for it, but I'm just curious if the part currently in the firearm is somehow bent. I could provide pics if anyone out there has one, or could you provide pics of yours. It would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

More than likely its bent. The 170 often jams, and some users are not gentle about trying to "unjam" it. I don't know if you just got it or always owned it, but alot of them get damaged by trying to muscle the action. I currently do not own one so I can't go look, but I have had several. There are some guys out there who can give them a "tune-up" and solve the problems.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Yeah, I just acquired it from a buddy of mine. It was missing a few parts, I was able to purchase them and reassemble the gun.
The part doesn't really look bent, but I assume it is, because it seems "out of phase" by about 45 degrees. Like, it should be in one position when it isn't. I appreciate the responses.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Could be a spring that is not fixed at the correct point to push the stop back into position. I assumed you throughly cleaned the action since it sooounds like it was dis-assembled.
Like most tubular mags the 170 has a shell lifter or carrier, and a stop rod that pivoits up and down to temporarily, block the end of the tube so only one shell goes into the carrier to be lifted up ward. Apring in the rear of the action should be forcing the shell stop down, the case head of the next shell holds it there till the action closes.

the shell stop front end just has a 90o bend on it. the rear doglegs over to contact it's operating side lock that pivots on a pin in the trigger assembly (there is a sidelock spring that may be missing or in correctly.
Sorry it is tough to describe in works.
I'm not challenging your disassembly, it is just anytime shomething comes in front of me that has been taken apart and then doesn't funtion correctly I suspect something is in wrong or waas left out.
It would be a simple gunsmith repair I believe. and those light 30-30 pumps are nice PA rifles.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

No prob I take no offense to it
I snapped a few pics of what exactly is going on.

Bolt Closed- Pump full forward as you can see the Stop isn't "stopping" anything at this point.

This is with the bolt open, pump pulled back towards the user, you can see the "stop has moved in front of the cartridge tube.

These last 2 are of the bolt closed.
It seems to me that that piece isn't in the correct position.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:05 PM

good luck. I think this was the achilles heel of this guns design. May be why they were discontinued. The thutty-thutty I had would give lots of feeding problems. Very accurate though with that Savage barrell.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farflung
good luck. I think this was the achilles heel of this guns design. May be why they were discontinued. The thutty-thutty I had would give lots of feeding problems. Very accurate though with that Savage barrell.
Yeah i was able to fire off a few shots single shot, 50 yards open site 1 inch group..so its a sweet gun, just can't get this to work properly.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:29 AM

I have seen several Savage M170s in 30-30, but have never
encountered one in 35 Remington.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page