Wilt muzzle brakes ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gunnermhr
  • 1 Post By Ralph46

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Wilt muzzle brakes ?

Any one here ever try one of these?
I bought a barrel for a Savage rifle that had one on it. It was very hard to get it off of the end of the barrel and it left marks on it.
I keep thinking i should try it on an 06 i have? I just don't want to put gouges on the end of the barrel!

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

Carbon build up on the threads will make them very difficult to get off and back on if you don't clean the threads with some type of solution. If it's a stainless break and barrel it might have started to gall, if so do not try to put it back on before you straighten out the threads, if you do it will go on part way and that'll be it, you'll need to destroy the break to get it off. Only way to avoid stainless galling is to make sure you grease it with something or use some type of anti-seize.

Of course the smith that installed it may have screwed something up, no pun intended
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

This is a" Wilt" clamp on type!

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

So, the metal isn't springing back enough, there's a couple things to do, pry it with a screw driver to spread it apart a bit more or drill and tap another hole though one side of the brake, run a set screw through that hole and as it bottoms out against the other side it will push the relief cut apart.

The screw driver will more than likely let a mark but it's quick and effective, the set screw method might not be for the everyday home handy man but is the better option, I imagine if it's something you're not comfortable with a gunsmith or machinist would only charge a minimal amount.

If the set screw thing doesn't make sense I can post a picture to what I did to my clamp on barrel block.
willyp likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 06:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

I just put a Witt on my Tikka 308. Made a huge difference, rifle much nicer to shoot. Put on according to directions provided and went on very easily. The break is made for that title based on measurements provided by the owner so it won't fit any othe bbl the way it is supposed to. The company also provided directions on removing brake. Sounds pretty easy. I would highly recommend contacting the company and I'm sure they can provide any info you need.
willyp likes this.

Freedom is NOT free!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 07:06 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I am not surprised that the brake left a mark after removal. Unless the mating parts were measured and precisely machined to exact dimensions the chance of a accurate fit without marring is very slim.

Before you switch the brake to another barrel verify its bore diameter. Most brakes are made for a certain caliber. So if you plan on putting it on a .308 caliber and it was original on a smaller caliber chances are the bullet will not clear internally.

Good luck, Tony
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 05:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

The outside diameter of the bbl must be the same for both rifles. And yes cal must be the same.

Freedom is NOT free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page