barrel swap question?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

barrel swap question??

A friends father dropped his remington 700 out of a tree stand and did barrel damage. He needs to replace the barrel now. Originally it was a 7mm mag. We have now possibly found a barrel in a 300 ultra mag. Would the mag box have to be changed also? Would the bolt still be able to be used?

Thanks for any info....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: barrel swap question??

Call Remington. I think they have a custom shop. If not, their repair shop should be able to answer all your questions and probably give you a quote on repair cost.

And there's nothing like a factory warranty to back you up iffin something goes wrong.

SW
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:18 PM

the mag box will have to lengthened. its very doable, but it is a lil bit of work. any reputable smith could have you fixed up in no time. he could also save some money by making it a single shot.

here is a pic for comparison. the one on the right is a 338 edge 300gr, but it is still a 300rum case and the left is a 7mm rem mag 150gr.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

a tree drop usually only damages the muzzle, and easy fix about $45 from any gunsmith.

Yes the barrels will swap. You need a gunsmith to headspace. The bolt is fine. All belted magnums have the same bolt face as the Ultra mag. Not sure what type of magazine you have. If it is a adl or an SP the new part is only about $10. The follower that feed the shell might need to be changes. The 7 mag and the 300 Rum have the same base diameter; BUT the RUM is a much fatter body than the 7 R Mag so the feed might be a problem even with the new follower and the new mag body. A good smith can open the feed rails to get it perfect. If you get the 300
Win Mag barrel it will fit with out anything except for a headspace check.

Not sure your friends father is ready for a 300 rum, it kicks substantially more than a 7mm R Mag.

No matter how many times I offer, no one every takes a shot on my 300 RUM when I offer!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Harry that is what I thought. His tree stand is over a rock bed. The muzzle hit on enough angle to bend the barrel itself. The 7mm is the smallest gun he owns. 338 ultra mag, 416, 300 win are just a few that I can remember. He likes the bigger rounds so this is right up his alley. BUT I think I might keep trying to find a 7mm for him. Thanks for the insight guys!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 10:00 PM
The Man

Even if he gets another 7 mag barrel its not like screwing the old one off and throwing new one on. it will have to be properly headspaced. Dont fool with rem. custom shop there are plenty new take off barrels out there 50-75.00 plus labor. try longrangehunting.com forums under for sale items. or now is the chance to have a nice custom done with a match grade barrel.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

trust me there is no way we are playing with barrels and headspacing....it's going to a gunsmith. he didn't have any barrels laying around in stainless. The old factory stainless was shooting sub moa out of the box. so if we find a stainless barrel and it shoots true then we have a winner. I don't think he has shot over 50 yards with that gun in 10 years.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

patonyk, Interesting. I've inspected a few tree stand rifle jumers. Is the barrel easily visiblely bent?

If the bend is slight, it might be interesting to fire it. I've seen some bent barrels shoot fine!!!! i don't know why?

Obvously you know any barrel thet has hit the dirt should be cleaned and checked for obstruction before ever firing.

If you decide to test fire, let us know how it went. maybe you have already done this?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Harry it looked like a banana....lol I could take my glasses off and still see it. I would not be comfortable shooting it. This landed in a rock bed no obstruction in the barrel. With Gramms age it's easier just buying a new barrel. I have found 2 on gunbroker for 75.00. I have a friend who is a smith down state that will change the barrel free of charge. This is my buddies Dad. So when it's fixed he'll be like a kid with a new toy.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sounds good. Nice taking care of the olde coggers (we appreciate it).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page