Hornady Superformance GMX or SST's - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hornady Superformance GMX or SST's

Looking for opinions on the Hornady GMX loads
Also for any opinions on the Hornady SST's.....I am looking for a factory load for my 300 Win Mag.

Thanks

GOD is GREAT, BEER is GOOD, & PEOPLE are CRAZY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Hornady Superformance GMX ammo

GMX is a monolithic bullet, all the same material, no core. It is made from guilding metal, the same as a bullet jacket. the material is stronger than copper in the Barnes bullets and it doesn't leave the copper mess in your barrel like the Barnes bullet do. Interesting that the French started using all copper (like the Barnes) and abandoned it about 100 years ago.

The GMX and the Barnes are being made as the bullet companies know that it is only a matter of time until the use of lead core bullet will be band for hunting in the USA. So they are getting on the band wagon early.

Lead core bullets with proper jackets are always superior to the monolithic bullet of copper or gilding metal. Just like leada shot is better than steel.

GMX bullets are longer for a given weight than lead jacketed bullets, so they may reduce the power capacity of the case to work in a given magazine and action length. Many people just use a lighter bullet for a given overall length.

proper jacketed Lead core bullets expand much better than copper or GMX bullets.

All that said, while I prefer lead jacketed bullets for hunting, I've used the Hornady GMX and they are fine. Much better than the copper barnes bullets per above. Like the barnes they don't reliably expand like the jacketed lead core, with also means they act like solids (which they are) and give deeper penetration, if the same bullet weight is used.

Better for bear than deer.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Sage

Has anyone seen any Hornady Superperformance ammo yet?? Ive had several boxes of the 6.5 Swede on back order for about a month now at Mid South Shooters Supply..

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Got mine from Cabelas.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page