m1 garand ammo - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

m1 garand ammo

hey guys getting my frist garand this week need some help with ammo. i plan on reloading for it but wanna take it out this week after work just to try it out. what ammo would be good to use in it that a gun shop or walmart would sell.

thanks alot
mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:05 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Re: m1 garand ammo

DO NOT get ammo at Walmart for an M1!!!!!!!

The M1 requires specific port pressures to prevent damage to the operating rod. You do not want to bend an op rod unless you have a 100 or so bucks burning a hole in your pocket. You'll know when you bend one...the gun will lock up, literally, as the rod will not slide in its channel any longer.

The M1 is regulated to shoot M2 Ball ammo. ALL hunting and sporting ammo is just too hot for the M1's oprod. You MIGHT get away with on a limited basis, but regular feeding of hunting ammo will bend it.

The best thing to do is get milsurp M2 Ball. CMP sells this, and you can find it at gunshows and online.

Failing that, Hornady makes M1-compatible match ammo, but it is not even in the same time zone as "cost effective".

I reload for it, and you can go that route, too, but you need to work within specific powders, bullet weights, and charge weights.

OR....

Look up a Schuster adjustable gas plug. This replaces the lock screw on the gas cylinder plug and will let you shoot about anything in the M1, as you can adjust it to "buffer" the force imparted on the rod. Last I looked they ran about $30 before shipping. Google will lead you to them. I have never used one, but the CMP forum guys love them, and that tells me all I need to know, as those guys forget more about M1's than I'll ever know.

Where are you getting your M1 from? (Just curious...)

Depending on where you in SWPA, you probably don't have a terrible long drive to Port Clinton, OH. That's where the CMP's North Store is located. There you can get M2 Ball aplenty, see about as many M1's as you can imagine, and get advice from folks who know those rifles inside, outside, and backwards.

If you were on this side of the state, I'd give you a couple boxes of M2 from my stock to help you get started....but I'm on the other side of PA from you.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

When buying surplus ammo. Be careful. Some of the surplus ammo out there is corrosive.

Its not like it use to be when you could pick up cases of Lake City ammo for a really cheap price. But the funny thing is it is still the same ammo, that was produced in the same year. They just want 10 times more for it. Can you say profit??

The days of shooting 30-06 surplus on the cheap are over. In the 70's and early 80's we would buy 20 or 30 cases at a time. Now you would need to take out a loan to buy 30 cases. Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Sage

Fairly recent info on what the CMP North store in Ohio is selling:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=37571

4C3006X215-192P - M2 Ball, .30-06 Greek HXP (Pyrkal) manufacture. Packaged in 8 rd enbloc clips, 6 clips per bandoleer, 4 bandoleers per .30 cal can. 192 rds in a .30 cal can. Boxer primed, non-corrosive. Headstamp varies HXP62-HXP80. *THIS AMMO ATTRACTS A MAGNET. weight is 15 lbs per can. $96.00 per can plus S&H. S&H $8.95 per can - to Alaska & Hawaii - $14.95 per can.

.30 cal CAN, not a spam can.

Should be good stuff, with a reuseable can.

*(Means the bullets are steel core or steel jacketed.)

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

As has already been stated, factory .30-06 ammo is no good for the Garand. lot of them have been damaged by it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks alot guys I read about different ammo being bad for it . I will just reload for it. I got it from a Guy where I work. he needs some money. thanks again.

Mark
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Look up a Schuster adjustable gas plug. This replaces the lock screw on the gas cylinder plug and will let you shoot about anything in the M1, as you can adjust it to "buffer" the force imparted on the rod. Last I looked they ran about $30 before shipping. Google will lead you to them. I have never used one, but the CMP forum guys love them, and that tells me all I need to know, as those guys forget more about M1's than I'll ever know.
There is always this option. We have dozens of Garand shooters at our club and many of them either shoot commercial ammo, reloads, or both.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:15 PM

Corrosive ammo isn't bad for it....not cleaning it after you shoot is bad for it.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think Federal has come out with some M1 Garand ammo. Other than thatm using regular .30/06 ammo runs you the risk of damaging the operating rod.

Buy surplus from CMP or reload. Or, by the valve and shoot regular commercial ammo.

Steve
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 01:39 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF
Fairly recent info on what the CMP North store in Ohio is selling:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=37571

4C3006X215-192P - M2 Ball, .30-06 Greek HXP (Pyrkal) manufacture. Packaged in 8 rd enbloc clips, 6 clips per bandoleer, 4 bandoleers per .30 cal can. 192 rds in a .30 cal can. Boxer primed, non-corrosive. Headstamp varies HXP62-HXP80. *THIS AMMO ATTRACTS A MAGNET. weight is 15 lbs per can. $96.00 per can plus S&H. S&H $8.95 per can - to Alaska & Hawaii - $14.95 per can.

.30 cal CAN, not a spam can.

Should be good stuff, with a reuseable can.

*(Means the bullets are steel core or steel jacketed.)
I have shot a LOT of HXP. It's good stuff. Not cheap anymore, but it's good stuff. In my 5.8mil SA M1 Garand with a all but new barrel, it'll shoot about 2-3 inches at 100 on the bench. In my 3.9mil (late WWII era) SA M1 with a real, real worn barrel, it shoots about 3/3.5 inches at 100 yards.

If you can, buy as much HXP as you can afford from CMP. Then keep the brass and reload it. Get a copy of the Hornady 7th Ed Manual, which has a page on reloading for the M1 Garand. OR...I'll try to scan the page for you if I can get a moment.

You need to remember that reloading for the M1 does not erase the issue of protecting the oprod from unsuitable pressures, and you can't just shoot "mild" loads, as you need the right burn rate in the powder, too.

Oh, and M1's eat brass. They make it fly in places you won't find, and they booger up rims and ding case mouths. I keep M1-fired brass separate from the stuff I run in my bolt guns. Usually I'll use the less "premium" brass or older stuff for the M1.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page