44 mag and deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

44 mag and deer

is a 44 mag a good choice for deer hunting in pa ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 12:04 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: 44 mag and deer

Sure , why not.
Use dit in both wheelguns , lever gun and a single shot.
Killed each one ever shot.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Frequent Contributor

if you can do your job it will do its deed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 12:51 AM
The Man

It's plenty of gun, just practice up a lot so that you can do your part. Good luck!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've killed many with the Marlin carbine. One shot dead deer. In revolvers I know many guys that have bad records on deer. IMO they just can't shoot it accurately enoough to get proper shot placement. One of my friends with this problem just changed to the Cassull...that isn't going to be his answer.

So the cartridge is fine for deer out to 150 yards. but in hanguns the shooter is way more important in deciding if it is a deer killer. I like the 41 mag revolver for deer also, and if someone wants to hunt deer with a wheel gun that might be a better choice.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

technically, yes. but i'm a big believer in using as much gun as you can shoot accurately. as with anything, shot placement is key. i recovered a deer that someone shot with a 44 revolver too far back and right below the spine. the deer ran and we didn't find it til next morning. when i butchered it i saw where the bullet passed right below the spine and out the other side with little damage. remington factory loads, 245 grain. on the other hand, my son shot one in the exact same spot this year with a 338 federal and it dropped it on the spot and it was dead by the time we got to it. massive wound. a high powered rifle will be more forgiving of poor shot placement than a handgun round or varmint round. if you are going to hunt with a 44, make sure you can shoot it well and take only good shots.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

44 magnum is a fantastic deer cartridge. Personally I like the 45 Colt just a bit better. The 45 Colt just has a little bigger hole than the 44 magnum. That is the main rason why I like the Colt more.

I like the 44 magnum for a couple of reasons. First the recoil is not bad in a lighter weight-faster handling lever action rifle-that rifle is also shorter for easier hunting in the woods.

The 44 magnum is more than adequate for any situation you could ever run into in the woods.

The next good thing about the 44 is the cost of ammo. And especially the cost of practice ammo. It is considerably less than most other ammo.

Personally I relaod and cast my own bullets. So cost of shooting is extremely less than shooting most CF rifles. I can cast, load, and shoot about 1,000 rounds for about $100. That is the price of two boxes(40 rounds) of some of the newer new fangled cartridges.

Once you have shot 1,000 rounds through your rifle I would say that you should be starting to get pretty proficient with it. Tom.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
44 magnum is a fantastic deer cartridge. Personally I like the 45 Colt just a bit better. The 45 Colt just has a little bigger hole than the 44 magnum. That is the main rason why I like the Colt more.
I like and enjoy the 45 Colt more also - but the 44 will take deer cleanly all day long - as long as you are using proper hunting ammo and the ranges are normal...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 02:05 PM

I used to hunt with someone who had one of the ruger bolt 44 mag rifles. He shot deer with it, and it worked well. Didn't attempt any long shots, but within the range he limited himself to it was a deer killer.

OHWM
Shoot Safe, Shoot Often
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:56 PM

I know several guys that use Marlin 44 magnum rifles
for deer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page