Hi-Point 40 S&W? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Hi-Point 40 S&W?

Just bought a hi-point 40.
Went to the range this afternoon for the 1st time and ran around 100 rounds throught it.
First time I loaded the 10 round clip full and 2 jambs.
After that I only loaded 6 rounds and had 1 jamb on average till the last two clips, then no jambs.
I've read where it takes the first couple hundred rounds till the gun and clip work best.
Anyone have any experience with this?
Another thing I've read is to load all clips to full capacity and leave them loaded in the gun safe when not in use for a few weeks and this helps the spring detension a bit and it works better.
Any knowledge on this will be great.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 11:29 PM

Re: Hi-Point 40 S&W?

its a hi-point. cant expect too much for $100. i bought one(9mm) knowing it was sub-par just to mess around with at the range. i put around 500 rounds through it and never had a jam. t didnt shoot to good at all, but then again, i didnt expect it too. lol! The spring in yours being new could be the issue. i would say do like you have read and see what happens. is it sliding ok? i have known a few people with them and t always seems like a hit and miss with each one.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 01:30 AM

Alot of guys call them "monkey guns" because they resemble
the rifles that the apes carried in the movie "Planet
Of The Apes" I have never owned one, I know a lot of
people that do though. Most of them like them for what
they are. Most guys I know dont like the Hi Point pistol
at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 01:44 AM

Leave the magazines full for a while, the spring will settle in a bit. If that doesn't work, there are measurements for the magazine lips that may need tweeked, you can find them on the hi point forum.

I currently have a .380 and .45 hi point, and I'm more than satisfied with them, if anything goes wrong with it, send it back, and they'll return it fixed free of charge and with a new magazine.

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 01:46 AM

We got a .380 Hi-Point and have put hundreds of rounds through it with no problems. Great snake gun for the money. Fun plinker!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 03:19 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i had the 9mm version. it was actually a pretty good shooter. heavy and ugly for sure, but surprisingly accurate and fun to shoot. mine never cared for HPs though... would jam a lot. if i stuck to FMJ, it'd go till the ammo ran out.

NRA Member
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Do you know how many guys are sitting in prison right now that have bullet wounds from FMJ?

The ones shot with HP's never made it to prison.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 12:51 PM
The Man

My buddy has one, it actually shoots pretty decent and has never jammed when I've been around it. On the other hand we only ever shot fmjs out of it. For what it's worth, I'd never stake my life on a 100 dollar gun. You get what you pay for. On the flip side, I wouldn't carry a 3,000 gun to protect myself if I hadn't shot it enough to know it will function flawlessly with defense ammo(or any other ammo ran through it).

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 01:08 PM

I didn't think I'd care for the hi point as well, but after sending my ruger back 3 times with no fix, and spending about $100 at the local smitty to get it fixed, I have about $460 wrapped up in a package I still don't trust, and if I aim 12" low, and 6" to the left, I may hit what I'm aiming at. I like ruger's rifles and wheel guns, but I'll never entertain the thought of owning another one of their autos.

One day I had $140 burning a hole in my pocket, and figured why not? I now have a gun made in the USA, with a lifetime factory warranty. I took it out back, ran 200 FMJ's through it, never jammed. I tried some HP's with less than good results. I stripped it down, and polished the feed ramp, put it back together, and now it will eat anything I feed it. It's pretty accurate considering the price, and yes, it's big, and it's ugly, but as long as it goes bang when I pull the trigger, who cares?

I've found that most people who bad mouth them, have never even fired one, and if nobody is willing to try them, I guess they'll be kept a secret.

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page