The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

35 whelen pump

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  mike103 
#1 ·
i have the remington semi auto version 750 woods master its a pleasure to shoot.
how is the recoil in the pump version ?

#6 ·
A 35 whelen pump is almost like shooting an auto because the shell casing is always self ejected. Just have to slide the pump forward.

My brother had that gun for several years, and I will say it definately has more recoil than an 06 from the same model. Sort of like comparing a 130 gr 270 to a 180 gr 30-06.

#7 ·
ya i have the 7600 whelen carbine and it belts pretty good with 200's. it just about ejects the shell itself off the bags. i will be trying the 250's this weekend after getting my trigger done and new scope mounted. it still doesn't hold a candle recoil-wise to my win 94 timber carbine in 450. that thing really belts you.

#8 ·
Hunt/Fish365,

I have the same issue with mine! Most times, the action opens during recoil. If I shoot it standing up with no hand on the pump handle, it will actually auto-eject! I had it to a Remington certified smith who told me if he roughed up walls the chamber a bit it might hold the expanding cartridge case better - didn't change a thing!

I'm loath to mess with it cause it shoots so good, but that is a bit un-nerving!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.