A little help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

A little help

An ex member of our camp recently passed away.
One of the other members had been holding 2 of his firearms for some time.
The family has very little money.
The mother told my friend to keep the guns but we are trying to sell them to give her the money for the granchilds edgucation.
Trying to come up with a value.
One is an older Rem. 870 2 3/4- 3 inch.
Wood stock and beleive is in pretty good condition.
The second is an older Savage 110 in 270 with a 3x9 leupold scope, not sure of the diameter. Wood stock and also is in good conditon.
Thanks ahead for any replies.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 PM

Re: A little help

id take the scope off and sale it separate...leave the rings and bases on the rifle...you can get 150$ for that leupold no trouble..ive seen em sale used in clean condition for 225 or so..more if it has the adjustable objective or 50mm objective etc...

shotgun id say 175-225 give or take..depending on specific model and condition...but your regular ole pump guns are usually in that price range...

rifle..300-350ish give or take...

those are rough ball parks...best thing to do is get on gunbroker..login and search completed auctions..search for the 2 rifles and see what they actually sell for...

but id say your looking at roughly 700$ give or take...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

depends on whether you sell them to a dealer or individual. i see nice older rem 870's for $250-300 all the time. the savage would be about $300, depending on the scope. a dealer will offer you about half.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

remember all the prices you see, at gun shows, dealer shelves or on Gunbroker.com are ASKING prices.
Used guns seldom sell for the asking price, especially models that are common and still made.

OR take them to a reliable gun store and put them on consignment. they usually charge 15%, and will price them to sell and do all the paper work. this is what I do with estate guns all the time. Don't get involved with "a friend of a friend of my buddy sale".

If you want to sell them, ask $50 less than you see or what people here are telling you. If you want the $$$ take the cash, you are not going to be a retail gun store.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 11:33 PM
Sage

I too would probably separate the Leupy and the Savage? The scope will be worth more by itself, than it will likely add much to the price, if included with the rifle?

Older M870s in good condition often fetch decent prices, compared to some of the newer, used Express models in matte finish/hardwood handles.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 11:46 PM

The best thing I believe is sell on Gunbroker and DON'T put a reserve on them. Start out the auction at $1. That way you get more people involved in bidding, and you know how people are. Once they start bidding on an auction it's hard to stop. I have sold at least 50 rifles that way and have always got at least what I wanted for them and most times more.

Stetam
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 12:19 AM

Consignment is not a bad thing,however I was a shop picking up primers and it was stated to another guy if it doesn't sell you need to pass a background check to get it back.The reason was in case you commited a crime while it is there.Just repeating what I heard.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Sage

The dealer had to log it in once you left it there on his premises, but doubt he has to do a background check on you, if you change your mind and want it back? It's still yours.

Could be, though? Haven't kept current.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page