Semi- use in Pa. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Semi- use in Pa.

Thought i might ask this in this site so there wont be a 26 pages. Ever wondered why pa. has not allowed semi's for deer hunting or they will ever change it? living where i do hunting the 3 states is popular but cant take a bar or 7400 to pa. I never have and never will own a semi but seems a little un fair a fine rifle like the browning bar isnt allowed. I go to the range and see the sk deal maybe thats the intent but this law i think has been forever even before there popularity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:16 PM

Re: Semi- use in Pa.

Not sure what the reasoning is behind it. I don't see the problem with semi autos for deer, just make a magazine cap at 4 or 5 rounds. That would stop guys with various military arms from blazing away like an idiot for 30 rounds. Something like "Center-Fire auto loading rifles designed in a manner that no more than 1 round be fired for each complete trigger depression, with no more than 5 rounds total in the weapon between chamber and magazine".
If the people in the know were really worried about assault rifles they could put a caliber restriction on it as well. 30 cal or higher, something like that.

OHWM
Shoot Safe, Shoot Often
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:42 PM

I just wish they'd allow semi-autos for small game and predator hunting and air rifles for small game. It seems like there's a whole realm of hunting firearms I'm missing out on due to unfounded regulations. I'd still use a bolt action rifle for deer and bear.

FWIW I've seen guys with lever action and pumps action rifles send lead down range at a deer fast enough to make an AR owner jealous.

WMU 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Part of the Community

Old habits & ideas die hard ESPECIALLY in Pennsylvania! I have always liked the Winchester M100 a semi version of the M88...I believe semi auto slug guns are legal in the SRA's?? Think about that! Some don't want me "slinging lead" in the ANF but they are onboard with the new high tech slugs out of semi's in higher populated area's? Everyone feels they have to police the next guy! A friend has a great shooting AR that would be a nice rifle to use for hogs. Just not in Old Pennsylvania. Times change....just not in Pennsylvania.
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thats my point, i have seen or heard guys with pumps sounding like semi's also. if it doesent have a bolt its not a gun to me but my opinion and preference only. im looking at the guy who lives in say md. or w.va and has 742 or bar 270 and only gun he owns. cant venture out to pa woods seems a little un fair to him. My dad for example only had 1 rifle 788- 308 and 1 shotgun 870- 16 gauge. Mom controlled the money and he sure wasent going to have 2 deer rifles.
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
The Man

They are coming around give your state a little more credit. I never did get a good answer on the 9:00 am first day of turkey season years ago.
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 03:08 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater
im looking at the guy who lives in say md. or w.va and has 742 or bar 270 and only gun he owns. cant venture out to pa woods seems a little un fair to him.
If he can only have one gun then he should purchase one that is able to be utilized in all states he wants to hunt in. Its not unfair, its the rules and regulations that everyone is to adhere to.

2F for a while...
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater
Mom controlled the money and he sure wasent going to have 2 deer rifles.
That is an interesting concept right there.How many minutes were they married?

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 05:41 PM
The Man

There is no legitimate reason to ban semi's for hunting.

NRA Patron Life Member
RMEF Member
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 05:49 PM
The Man

Is there a good reason to have semi's for hunting? I'm not bein smart I'm just asking. The only reason I have seen in these threads before is because someone has a semi rifle that they really like.

2F for a while...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page