New Marlin production at Ilion NY - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

New Marlin production at Ilion NY

Was a nice article about the Freedom Group producing new marlin lever guns at the Remington plant in Ilion NY. There was a $6 million renovation of unused space in the existing plant in NY, helped along with $2.35 million in state funds. They have hired a additional 100 workers (they had already been hiring because of upgrades they were doing to military sniper rifles under Federal contract. It has been a good year for Remington, except for the flap about the model 700's. The news article only mentioned lever guns. Don't know if that means that their bolt guns would be made elsewhere, the line dropped or if the media just screwed it up. The article was in the Utica Observer Dispatch. I checked and they did not/or havent's yet posted it on line. Hope they keep producing the .35 Remington.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: New Marlin production at Ilion NY

ya from what i heard the new marlin levers have REP on the right side of the barrel these days (remington proof mark). i also heard there was quality issues. lots of info over on marlin owners forum. i hope any issues they may have are temporary. i am a big remington and marlin fan and would hate to see them go down hill. i need to go to dicks or gander one of these days to see if they have any of the new guns.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:04 PM
The Man

The way I see it any time somebody starts making something different there is going to be some issues. As long as they are dealt with properly I don't see any problems with it.

I guess it just won't be the same with Remington making them. I have no problems with Remington at all, but it would be like buying a new Ford that was built at a Chevy assembly plant.

It could have been much worse though. Some foriegn invester could have bought the name, and moved everything to Turkey/Russia/China to make a larger profit. With the amount of money being thrown at this endever I don't think that will happen any time soon.

It will probably just start a new era. My guess is that Marlin will be around a bit longer with updated manufacturing. Could have all but went along the wayside the way Colt did.

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I really wonder about Marlin lever guns. Are we saturated with these things? Doesn't everyone that wants one have two already?

Marlin tried to get into other gun areas like bolt action CF, the Marlin model 7, etc. But these efforts failed badly.
I think Marlin would have been out of business in year or two; so Remingtons takeover might be the breath of life.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

I am fairly familar with the Remington plant. They put a lot of work into the quality control they do. I too hope they do not make any changes in the Marlins design. They are a really solid gun the way they are built. The design sure did not change a lot. Years ago,I had a 1968 Marlin .35 that I lost a lever screw for on a Sat., and thought I would be out of buisness for Sunday hunting (NY). I looked at a roughly 1900's Marlin 38-40 and they looked the same, with a odd shoulder built into the screw. I took the old screw out and put it into my .35 Rem. and it fit exactly. I checked a couple of years ago, and they still had the same screw.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 12:34 PM

IMO the 336 in any cal. or style is a work of art. The steel and wood and the very good workmanship is hard to beat. I've had a couple over the years and always thought they were nice should've kept one. I just noticed they now have a safety????...later
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

the crossbolt safety has been there for years. since about 84 i think. i have old ones and new ones and am hoping the things i have heard about quality are temporary.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

with the crossbolt, does it still have the halfcock safety?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:26 PM

When I think about the 336's I've let slip through my hands I could cry. I had 2 30.30's and the one was a 24" bbl and the tube was shorter, also had a 32 special. A fellow bear hunter bud wants one in the stainless comp. gray and black stock but won't give up the $6-700 bucks. To think I gave the guy $45.00 bucks for the 32 makes me sick to think I let it go later....later
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b&ghuntre
When I think about the 336's I've let slip through my hands I could cry. I had 2 30.30's and the one was a 24" bbl and the tube was shorter, also had a 32 special. A fellow bear hunter bud wants one in the stainless comp. gray and black stock but won't give up the $6-700 bucks. To think I gave the guy $45.00 bucks for the 32 makes me sick to think I let it go later....later

At last count I let twelve of them slip away. I switched my interests to bolt guns and couldn't keep everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page