Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor

This will be a little project of mine. After buying a TC Venture a couple of years ago for coyote hunting, based on the advise of one friend and mainly wanting something inexpensive, I was so impressed by the accuracy of a low cost rifle that I've sorta been intrigued with them since. Been wanting to get my hands on a Ruger American for awhile just to see what they will do. This is my first Ruger rifle. Reviews look very good. I thought I would start a thread and post my progress as I go. Part of it will do with working up a load and components. I am not posting it in the reloading forum or long range forum simply because the focus will mainly be the rifle. My goal initially will be to keep the rifle as I bought it, inexpensive, also using an inexpensive scope, although I may eventually upgrade. As for loading components, no, I don't do that cheap. My intended purpose will be to compete in factory class 2,3, and 500 yard shoots. If it shoots well I will also shoot some 1k steel shoots. Yes I said 1k. Laugh, but stay tuned. (; I also will likely do some groundhog hunting with it.
For starters the initial setup is the factory rifle. Scope is a Sightmark 10-40x56 Triple Duty Mil-Dot Dot. Burris Signature Series Zee Rings. (I know not cheap but I prefer these). Caldwell Bipod for long range groundhog.

It sounds like a lot of scope but it really wasn't expensive. I got it in the spring of 2016 through Optics Planet for $250. Functionally I've been very happy with it. Dials consistently and comes back to zero repeatedly. Has crisp audible clicks. Very impressed with turrets at this price. Glass quality? Lol, 40 power at $250? It leaves A LOT to be desired as expected. Does reasonable to around 20 power but after that the clarity really falls off. I used it on a 223 last year shooting at 500yds, on 40 power I was able to center in bulls eye but definitely needed a spotting scope for the clarity to see holes in paper.

The Zee Rings have the .010 offset inserts so I was able to set the scope up with a 20moa cant. I should be able to dial out to 1k.

I have yet to start loading. I will post more as I go. Remember, this project is to see what can be done with an off the rack budget rifle. If it lives up to it's reviews, and shoots as well as my TC did, many of you doubters will be impressed, and those of you who think you can't get into shooting some distance at a very reasonable cost will have new optimism. As always, time will tell, but I'm very optimistic. Stay tuned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (93.0 KB, 116 views)

Your freedom to be you, includes my freedom to be free from you.

Last edited by kdvarmint; 12-18-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 11:49 AM
Frequent Contributor

Looking forward to your reports. I'm tossing around the idea of picking one up in .204. Recently picked up a American compact .223 for a cheap walk around deer gun in crappy weatherand that thing is so nice and handy and shoots lights out. I was really impressed.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #3 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 04:47 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanHillHunter View Post
Looking forward to your reports.

Me too!

I was going to buy a Ruger America in 22-250 but the Creedmoor impressed me. I could not make up my mind. I decided to hold off for now.

I look forward to your reports.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Got my Dies. Will be using a Redding Full Length Bushing sizing die, with a .290 neck bushing to start.
A Wilson chamber type bullet seater die used with an Arbor Press.
Will start with Hornady 143gr ELD-X bullets, Federal 210m primers, and Norma brass.
Haven't decided which powder to start with. I have a few options in the cabinet. More on that later.
Will use the modified case and my O.A.L. guage to determine bullet seating depth. Will start .005 off the lands.

Hopeing to get an accurate load with a hunting bullet so I can go from match shooting right to the field. I'll let the rifle have the final say though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4044_1482102825536.jpg (761.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4046_1482102857591.jpg (627.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4047_1482102878285.jpg (1.02 MB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4048_1482102899119.jpg (906.3 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by kdvarmint; 12-18-2016 at 06:22 PM.
post #5 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 07:20 PM

I will be anxious to see how you are making out. I bought the same gun back in August and set it up with a Vortex 4x16x50 scope. My intentions are more hunting than competition long range. So far I have shot both the factory Hornady ammo with the 140 grain ELD bullet and the 143 ELDX bullet. So far with nothing more than some break in cleaning between shots and not messing with anything else this gun shoots both factory ammo in about a 3/4 inch group at 100. I had been wanting the Ruger Precison Rifle until I picked one up and was surprised by the weight of it. Again wanting a hunting gun I didn't want to lug a 12+ pound rifle around. I read and saw allot about this Ruger American Predator and how well the 6.5 Creedmor was in it. I decided what the heck and plucked down my $400 for the rifle and my complete setup is less than $1000 and I'm. totally happy. I too want to see what the 143 ELDX will do with handloads. My only difference so far is I'm starting with Hornady I probably won't get to play much with mine until spring due to other priority things the next couple months. I look forward to your reports.
post #6 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Getting my first loads together. Norma brass, Federal 210m primer, IMR 4350 powder, Hornady ELD-X 143gr pills.

Neck tension feels pretty snug. I sized all the cases to round out the new necks. Used the .290 bushing and the expander plug that came with the Redding die. After rounding out over the expander plug outside neck diameter measured .291 with a loaded round measuring .293. Suprised the tension felt as tight as it did seating bullets. You can definitely see where the seater plug contacted the bullet. Probably will be ordering a .292 bushing for more consistent seating depth. They are within.004 of each other. Can do better.

Put next to a 308 round in second pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4154_1482793768155.JPG (628.8 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4155_1482793784368.JPG (1.05 MB, 153 views)

Last edited by kdvarmint; 12-26-2016 at 06:15 PM.
post #7 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 08:45 PM

Looks good so far.I can't wait to see some targets.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #8 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:39 PM
The Man

My step son just had me order 2 for him thru my dealer, 365.00 out the door not bad.
post #9 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 10:57 PM

Do they make this gun in 260 Remington? Thanks
post #10 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 05:22 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdvarmint View Post
Got my Dies. Will be using a Redding Full Length Bushing sizing die, with a .290 neck bushing to start.
A Wilson chamber type bullet seater die used with an Arbor Press.
Will start with Hornady 143gr ELD-X bullets, Federal 210m primers, and Norma brass.
Haven't decided which powder to start with. I have a few options in the cabinet. More on that later.
Will use the modified case and my O.A.L. guage to determine bullet seating depth. Will start .005 off the lands.

Hopeing to get an accurate load with a hunting bullet so I can go from match shooting right to the field. I'll let the rifle have the final say though.

Don't mean to be stupid but a modified case?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page