red dot scope - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

red dot scope

I need some help with picking a red dot scope. I want one for my 12 gauge. I have herd there are two types. One is no matter where the red dot is in the sight picture, you will hit where the dot is. The other type has to have the dot centered. I want the kind that will hit target no matter were in the site picture the dot may be. What type is that? Thanks for the help.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 07:12 PM
The Man

Re: red dot scope

never heard of one that the dot isn't always on target no matter where it's at in your "picture". Stay away from Tru-Glo. Heard there are lots of failures. I've tried them all and except for Aimpoint which is very expensive, I've had zero failures and great luck with the Bushnell Trophy series in the red/green combo

I gotta go agitate the techies!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

all red dots have some parralax, like scopes. But at ranges under 50 yards it is of no importance. And by the way your head lines up automatically in the middle of the sight picture.

You do need to pick if you want 1x or 2x. 1x is zero magnification, 2x is 2 power. Some have a variety of different colors and shapes for the "dot" like a cross or 'x'.

I have two on shotguns, one on my spring turkey shotgun and one on the shotgun I use for NY deer hunting. also have one on my x-box. I've had one about 10 years the other about 5. All are Tru-Glo all work perfect. all are 1x, because I want the largest field of view possible.

I have used them extensively and they are rugged. I use the one for hunting the swamps in south florida for boar. They are best in low light level (no surprise). the batteries they use are really vaifly inecpensive and last a long time. The first one I bought back about 15 years ago was a Bushnell, it ate batteries and they were outragously expensive. Check the battery size, and the battery cost before buying. I know Bushnell now also uses an inexpensive battery, but it is a consideration especially if you need a wierd hearing aid battery in the boonies.

CR2032 are the batteries to use, if they are for your unit. cheap, long lasting and walmart and everyone has them. I tape an extra on the side of my red-dots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 PM

I have the Bushnell Trophy on my Ruger Blackhawk. I'd suggest getting a sight with the green dot option. In low light a green dot works much better. In the daytime, especially bright conditions, the red is better.

WMU 3A
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:02 PM

Aimpoint, the best out there in my opinion.

Never Misses
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 PM

What are you going to be using it for?

For electronic sights I would say go with either a AimPoint or Eotech. It doesnt matter where the reticle is in the tube (or on the glass for the Eotech) if the dot is on target that is where the shot will go. You can also shoot both eyes open on either of these sights. I prefer the Eotech for the field of view and the reticle.

For a inexpensive unit, I have heard the ProPoint is decent, as is the Millett. But IMO you will get what you pay for and if it was me I would just put a Aimpoint or Eotech on it.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:46 PM

Aimpoint 9000SC on my Benelli SBE 2.
[img][/img]

Never Misses
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 12:59 AM

If money is not an issue, Aimpoint or Eotech with out question. We use Eotech on our Benelli's and M-4's at work. they take a beating year after year and never have a problem.

With that said, for my Moss 835 i purchased a Truglo red dot w/ no magnification off Ebay for about $25. This is my thrid year with it and have fired numerous 3" and 3 1/2" shells and never had to adjust the dot.

Like mentioned earlier, best thing about a red dot is keeping both eyes open.

We all make choices, some good, some bad, can you live up to yours?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagler
Aimpoint 9000SC on my Benelli SBE 2.
[img][/img]
That is a SWEET set up right there!!!

We all make choices, some good, some bad, can you live up to yours?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 02:07 AM
Frequent Contributor

Basically there are two types. The tubular 1X power ones like in the pictures above. And then the reflex style which is much smaller and is just one piece like the Eotech or the Mueller. On the reflex model all you have to do is line the dot up on the target. It does not have to be in the center of the scope to be on target. If the dot is on target then pull the trigger. That is what really makes them nice.

There are a bunch of companies out there selling those types. But very few making that sight.

I want one that is fairly inexpensive for my 1300 Turkey gun. So I am going to order one of the Mueller sights. They are made by a firm in the USA. I believe they are made in Minnesota or Wisconsin.

The tubular models like the one above are pretty good also. I have a couple of them made for Leupold by GilMore. They are great scopes also. However with shotguns you have to make sure you get good eye relief. Or you will walk away with a cut eyebrow. Tom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page