New holster is stiff - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

New holster is stiff

Just bought a brand new Ruger leather holster. My Ruger GP100 fits very tight. Is it necessary to treat the leather somehow or just leave the pistol in the holster for awhile? The leather is beautiful so I don't want to ruin the grain in the leather. Any suggestions?

You just shot an unarmed man. Well he should have armed himself!!! Clint Eastwood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:32 PM

Re: New holster is stiff

Just leave the pistol in it for a little while. Wipe your gun down well with a silicone cloth first, and make sure to check it. I don't own a ruger, but I have had pistols that wanted to rust/stain when left in the holster to stretch it out.

The holster I bought for my Kimber is beautiful, but it took quite a while for it to stretch out to the point where the pistol wasn't more or less stuck in the leather.

OHWM
Shoot Safe, Shoot Often
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Sage

Make the inside of the holster wet, oil up the handgun verry well on the outside and put it in the holser and allow it to dry. When you put the gun in the holster, push it in hard so the tight spot at the cylinder is stretched a tiny bit. After repeated drawing and holstering will lossen it up till it is a smoth draw. You do not want a sloppy fit, it should be tight to a reasonable degree. I know guy who vaseline the inside of the holster, but I don't recommend that because it will forever hold any dirt that gets inside the holster.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

could you do the same thing you do to fit a knife to a sheath?

soak the holster in hot water for a few minutes...lube up your weapon with plenty of oil, maybe even wrap it with saran wrap, shove it in the holster and leave there for an hour or so. the leather will dry fairly quickly, but i would not leave the weapon in the sheath longer than an hour. the leather will stretch and dry to the dimensions of YOUR gun...just a thought

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

I held mine as close to the fireplae as I could sit and just worked and squashed the holster and it softened right up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page