6x45 AR-15 ready for the woods - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

6x45 AR-15 ready for the woods

...c'mon PGC - make it possible! I would love to take a deer with this thing.

I mentioned this one in the semi-auto bill thread, so I figured I'd show it off.

This is my new Dedicated Technology (DTech) 6x45mm AR upper with 18" Shilen Select Match, medium contour, stainless steel barrel that I received a few weeks back. It's mounted on a lower that I built up myself that is based around a Geiselle Hi-Speed National Match trigger. Up to this point, windy conditions kept me off the range, but I finally got a somewhat decent shooting day in late last week to try it out.

The first handload recipe I tried looks pretty promising...

Even with a little bit of crosswind, it put two through the same hole and one slightly off of that cluster, making for a total 3-shot group size of .179" @ 100 yards. That 85 gr. Sierra GameKing HPBT bullet is on sale at Midwayusa.com right now, so I ordered up a few boxes since it's clearly a shooter. It'll make a dandy coyote gun at the very least, but the true object of this build was to make my "tween" daughter a viable, low recoil deer rifle. Hopefully, PA won't remain one of a handful of places that she can't use it for much longer. This sucker will flat-out get it done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 06:01 PM

If I were betting, sorry I'd be betting they will choose against using them for big game at least for awhile...they are just too primitive to believe it to be even possible in my opinion...but I never in a million years thought they would have gone this far...heck I thought Sunday hunting would come first but I was wrong on that one also...hang in there, someday !
Six-Gun likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if you are right. PA is just so slow to do anything different, but that's okay. Odds are very good that I'm getting stationed back at Nebraska again this coming Summer, so I will have a place to use it and to get my daughter on the trigger (not to mention $5 youth tags out there).

Still hoping that we'll see semi-autos for big game sooner rather than later in PA. It really is a shame that it's not an option.
bohunr, tdd and nomad_archer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 06:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Just my opinion, but I think it may be sooner than later...if not sooner...what reason will the PGC have for waiting?

IMO, The longer the delay the more attention the issue will receive... and the more negative publicity the PGC and the Pa. hunters will receive.
Six-Gun likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 07:55 AM

Being A Vietnam Veteran and seeing first hand what a Semi can do to a herd of Gooks running away, it would be in our best interest and for safety`s sake if the PGC regulated the amount of ammo to a 5 shot burst at any one time....It only takes one well placed shot to kill. Just my opinion guys......
Pahack likes this.

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

I have no issue with a 5-round mag limit (that's the smallest mag capacity that I know of for an AR), so that would make a total physical limit of 6 shots in the gun. Most bolt guns hold one or two fewer, so it's about on par.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 04:27 PM
The Man

Six-Gun

Nice shooting!
Six-Gun likes this.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! It took weeks to get a decent shooting day, but once it finally came, the gun was up to the task. If I miss in the field, now I know where the blame squarely falls.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 10:10 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

These guns do not belong in the deer woods, I don't want to walk in the woods and see a guy with one of these in his hands, call me old school but I want to see the traditional bolt,lever, or pump. All we need are trigger happy guys with more fire power in the woods, I VOTE A BIG NO!!!!
bearswampguy likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 10:23 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
I have no issue with a 5-round mag limit (that's the smallest mag capacity that I know of for an AR), so that would make a total physical limit of 6 shots in the gun. Most bolt guns hold one or two fewer, so it's about on par.
I don't really have an issue, other than I'd like to see the mag limit, if there is one, be whatever accommodates most other platforms.

Doesn't a Marlin 336 hold like 6 or 7 in the tube?

Whatever it is, make it consistent for ALL rifles, and then there's no "if this, then that" baloney.

That's a cool rifle. I hope they do legalize it so you can give it a run here in PA.
bohunr and Six-Gun like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page