6.5x284 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

6.5x284

Hey all, I got a 6.5x284 stainless barrel with a muzzle break a friend gave me to build for longer range shootin. He says it is from a Win. model 70. What do I need to do and get to build into a gun. I think he said if i can find a win. model 70 with a long action I could change barrels and use it. Any info appriciated! Thanks, Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: 6.5x284

a win long and the stock and scope of your choice
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:55 PM

if it came off of a win, then it was already a custom build. you wont be able to just put the bearrel on....it will need headspaced and gauged. i would suggest to take it to a smith and let him look it over so that you know exactly what you are working with. i wouldnt take chances with "he said"..

good luck with a great chamber!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

yea, that crossed my mind. Thanks! Does it matter pre/post 64, XTR Sporter, wood, synthetic ect.?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

same barrel theads bot you have to match the stock to the action
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Also you said it was from a friend, but free barrels in a hot caliber usually mean trouble. Not many people would unscrew a great shooting tube and give it away.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Logger
Also you said it was from a friend, but free barrels in a hot caliber usually mean trouble. Not many people would unscrew a great shooting tube and give it away.
+1

WMU 3A
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 12:37 AM
The Man

i think every post here was good information. 6.5 x 284 can be a barrel burner but great caliber. with that being said i would just buy a new barrele and have it over with. when a barrel is changed its not like running a nut on a bolt, a smith will still have to sit it up in lathe like a chamber job which takes time. if you want to play the lr game there is no cheap way of getting in to it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:49 AM

How many pills have gone thru that tube? Most 6.5x284 barrels die at around 1,200. I have two in that same round count that are tomato stakes. Before spending the money on another installation, I would have it bore scoped.

benchrest
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 12:22 PM

STOOL is exactly right....yes, the .284 bullets being made these days are about as good as they are ever going to be.. they do have beautiful BC which let them fly flat at long long ranges BUT they are hard on the throat area and hard may be an understatement.. I have some friends that are regulars at the 1000 yard matches and one friend who owns a world record at 1000 with a 6.5x284 and they change barrels almost as regular as their oil stained sweatshirts.. some don't even last 500 rounds and few if any ever make the 750 mark.. but that's for competition benchrest standards none of which has anything to do with hunting accuracy.. STOOL is right, no use in spending all that cash to get it fitted if it's worthless.. check it with a borescope or take it to someone who has one.. There's also an issue with which case is best or fits in you boltface and lot's of issues with which case is the best for accuacy..it seems looking at it from over the years that the old .284 winchester cases are way way ahead of the others in the accuracy department.. BUT they are hard to find if not impossible to find these days.. I think if you need to know anything about this cartridge call my friend at ACCURACY ONE located near Tyrone PA..he knows more about it than just about anyone on the planet.. BUT it is an outstanding hunting cartridge, especially when ranges are above 500 yards..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page