Stainless steel barrels too bright? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Stainless steel barrels too bright?

Was hunting with my new Tikka T3 Lite Stainless this year and couldn't help but notice how bright the barrel seemed to be especially under certain lighting. I was busted by a doe close to 100 yards away and I'm pretty sure the only time she saw me was when I swung my rifle over to scope her. I can't help but wonder, do stainless barrels give us away, more than traditional blued barrels, or was my observation just a coincidence?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 11:48 PM

i used a 242 ruger for a few years in stainless.. i never noticed a difference..
i had a buddy that had a t3 stainless... he tock a green scotch bright pad to it..
it did dull it a lot but had micro scratches... can all ways buff out to new look again if you dident like its look
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 12:14 AM

I have a Ruger Target rifle in original stainless . Before they put the grey coatings on from the factory . Since the stock is a grey/green lamination , I found a grey/green/ white camo gun tape and carefully covered the barrel . Looks good and no more glare .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 07:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I made a sleeve out of camouflage materal that I can slip over my barrel...I figured why take a chance of being busted with a shiny barrel.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 08:17 AM

I hunt with a Browning A Bolt Stainless Stalker and the barrel is similar to a parkerized finish, it is not perfectly smooth. I have never been busted because of the barrel that I have noticed. I bought the gun new in 1993 and it's seen some action. I think the movement will get you noticed more than anything, no way a stainless barrel is more noticeable than an orange hat on a hunters head.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 08:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I stayed away from stainless for a long time off this reason. Now I only buy stainless and have shot game fine. The highly polished stainless barrels will definitely reflect more light. The less polished barrels will dull even more as they pick up bark, etc. when walking through brush. It can easily be cleaned off but I leave it until the season is over.

I have a Tikka and the barrel is pretty smooth and shiny. I also have a stainless Remington 700 and it is a rougher and duller finish. I have seen people on message boards complain about the dull finish on the Remington but I prefer it for a hunting rifle.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 09:37 AM
The Man

Having never seen your barrel I cannot comment on how it would reflect light. But I would suspect you were spotted more because of your movement than reflection off the barrel.

A few days ago I was watching a field. I caught movement past the far edge. The edge is a measured 110 yards. Using binoculars I saw it was a turkey's head in the brush 10 or 15 yards past the edge. I could not see the body just the head but the movement was the giveaway.

Considering deer are prey they are constantly on the lookout for predators and any movement will alert them.

When I'm out there I do everything sloooow.
tdd likes this.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Lock View Post
I'm pretty sure the only time she saw me was when I swung my rifle over to scope her.
A scope objective will reflect like a mirror with the right sun angle. One of the reasons scout snipers use sun shades.

But never had an issue and that's all I've been hunting with for about 20 yrs, and I'm talking about a lot of different environments. Sold almost all the blued stuff. A glossy blue reflects light much more than stainless.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 11:20 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

The situation described was almost surely movement that got busted, not a shiny barrel.

Did the brighter barrel make the movement easier for the deer to detect? That might be possible.

I shot a doe last night with my Model 70 with a stainless barrel. I had to stand, turn, and bring the rifle around to bear (she was way around to my left). No issues. She was at 120 yards, and when she was looking toward me, I was still. When she looked away, I moved. She had no idea anything was wrong until a 180gr Partition turned out the lights.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've taken several deer with a stainless Ruger Super Redhawk handgun and never felt it spooked the deer. Now, a handgun is a lot shorter than a rifle barrel, but I think the movement is what will catch their eye.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page