Remington Model 14 Pump - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Remington Model 14 Pump

The 14 Rem Pump...Neat looking gun.. I have seen guys shooting these at the PGL ranges and they shot well.. Anyone use these yet for big game hunting?

http://www.remington.com/products/ar.../model-14.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 06:50 AM
New Arrival

Re: Remington Model 14 Pump

Uncle Buck,

I have a Model 14 in 32 Rem. The later ones were called the 141. Actually, I will be hunting my first PA hunting season with that little 14 in 32 Rem. Anyways, they are fine hunting rifles. Very, very well made. If I were to get another one, I would get one in 35 Rem. The ammo is easy to find if you donít hand load. They also did not come drilled and tapped for a scope unless done afterwards. If it was drilled for a scope, you probably can get one a lot cheaper because any collector interest is gone and it is just a shooter. If you get one that isnít drilled and tapped, I recommend getting an aperature sight that sits on the back of the receiver. That will work a whole lot better than using the open sights.

Good luck. Again, I will be trying my luck with mine this fall hunting in PA for the first time. I know that there is a little disadvantage in using this rifle over some of my other modern scoped guns. However, I have been reading here on this forum that there is a big deer population problem in 2G anyways, so I might as well make it nostalgic if I am not going to see anything. If I want to get a deer for sure, I can always go to Michigan for a long weekend. It is just not about the deer to me anymore.

All the best,
Jeff
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You must have been peeking in my gun cabinet, LOL!! yeah, got one in .32 rem. Been in the family for generations. My brother likes to hunt with it. That old gun has killed a butt load of deer in its time. He shoots it more or less instinctive with the original open sights. Fires when it hits the shoulder, like he was bird hunting with a scattergun! he's deadly with it. Ballistically similar to a 30-30. Great for carrying on a drive or still hunting the thick stuff. I can't remember killing anything with it myself, but then again he doesn't give me a chance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Banned

My wife has hunted with a 14 carbine in .35 Remington for the last two seasons. It carries and handles well but I don't exactly have a love affair with the cartridge. But she doesn't have good sense and won't use a bolt action like a decent person.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i hunt with them every year. i have 14's and 141's in both rifles and carbines. i love them. the 25, 30 and 32 remington were ballistic equivalents of the winchester 25-35, 30-30 and 32 special but the rems were rimless. the 35 rem is a different animal and the best of the bunch. find a model 14 carbine in 35 and you have something special.
hey moose, if you ever talk your wife into getting rid of that little 35, let me know. i'll give it a good home.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I do have a Rem 14 in the 35 Rem..Got it for $320.00. However it was tapped and had a scope on it..An old Weaver scope. So as a collectable I suppose it's not one anymore..
I have seen them in the racks at Cableas...some tapped too for over $535.00.. Now I would never do this but a young new educated gunsmith told me that you can use pointed bullets in the magazines of the model 14. I'm not going to do it but he did tell me there is no problem because how the model 14 magazine is constructed.. See he even told me to shoot Leverlution 35 Rem from it if I wanted.. The gun store I purchased it from that gunsmith said no: Don't shoot Leverlution only the Rem 35 corelokt ammo in it.. Someone doesn't know what they are talking about and I'm not going to try to prove which one of these gunsmiths are right..
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

model 14 pointy bullets no problem
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck
I do have a Rem 14 in the 35 Rem..Got it for $320.00. However it was tapped and had a scope on it..An old Weaver scope. So as a collectable I suppose it's not one anymore..
I have seen them in the racks at Cableas...some tapped too for over $535.00.. Now I would never do this but a young new educated gunsmith told me that you can use pointed bullets in the magazines of the model 14. I'm not going to do it but he did tell me there is no problem because how the model 14 magazine is constructed.. See he even told me to shoot Leverlution 35 Rem from it if I wanted.. The gun store I purchased it from that gunsmith said no: Don't shoot Leverlution only the Rem 35 corelokt ammo in it.. Someone doesn't know what they are talking about and I'm not going to try to prove which one of these gunsmiths are right..
the spiral mag was designed to offset the point of the bullet from the primer of the one in front of it in the tube so that part is correct. i don't know how the pressure compares on the leverevolution 35's vs the factory corelokts but i would not risk it. i will say this, i have never seen a 14 or 141 that did not shoot the 200 grain corelokts great and i have shot many, many of them. no need for anything else in those old timers. and if you put a nice small vintage scope on them they are a really nice setup. i had one with a redfield bearcub 2x with a post reticle. it was slick and didn't affect the handling.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

I don't have a model 14 but i do have a model 141 Gamemaster in 35 Remington.Bought it at the Harrisburg gun Show last year after reading an excellent article that was in Shooting Times magazine.They said the 14 & 141 were excellent guns and that ,get this,to build those same types of guns today would cost $3000 for one.Great shooter and def. a piece of history there.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Banned

I did shoot an 8 point buck the one year with the 150 Grain Remmy CL in .35 Remington. I was rather impressed withn how quickly that put him down at 100 yards considering the 150 isn't very popular in that cartridge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page