4x12 Scopes without AO - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

4x12 Scopes without AO

All,
I received my Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm Rem Mag yesterday and I have been mulling over a scope to put on it. I bought this rifle for my Elk hunt next year in CO so I am trying to keep the weight down. I was at Gander Mountain yesterday in Monroeville, great gun and scope selection btw, and I looked at a Nikon Prostaff 4x12 and a Redfield Revolution 4x12.

The Redfield is lighter and the crosshairs seemed a bit thinner, which I liked. I do prefer the BDC reticle over the Accurange, but I can deal with that.

One thing I don't like about either is the lack of an Adjustable Objective, which I have on both my other big rigs. (4.5x14) I know not having the option saves me some weight, but I am wondering if it will cause me issues on the higher power.

My big question is who has one and are you happy with the value, and do you miss the AO option?

Spilled blood on our hands fuels reverence for our quarry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 09:15 AM
The Man

The lack of the AO will not cause you any issues. It is a desirable option on target scopes and much less so on hunting scopes.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 10:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have a 3-15 without parallax adjustment and an updated version of the scope with parallax adjustment. I prefer having the ability to adjust parallax above 10x but you'll be ok without it.

Now, what I really feel needs to be said is that, for similar money, you could buy a Euro Instinct 3-9 and have considerably better glass. Glass quality trumps magnification every time. A 9x top end is not going to hurt you on a target the size of an elk until you are way, way out there. Lots of magnification is great at the range but not needed on big game. 9x should be plenty well beyond 500 yards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 10:38 AM

We're really talking about a few ounces in weight here. I bet you can lose more than that out of your pack....or take a dump in the morning!

Get the scope you want. If I knew I might be shooting 300+ yards at a living creature I'd want all the help I can get. 100 yard fixed parallax does some mesmerizing things at 300 yards....regardless of scope magnification. A decent scope with AO can be had for around the same money....maybe a little more. Natchez carries refurbished Nikons as well as has generally the best prices I've seen on new...might want to look there.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks guys. I should have clarified that I do shoot at paper and plan on shooting steel at longer ranges with the same gun, but the main purpose is hunting.

I do want a minimum 12x power as I sight in my family's 9x scopes and I like the higher end magnifications ability to be more precised. I hardly ever hunt on 14x with my other rigs, but love knowing its there.

JasonN - 1st off, I do, every morning!!!! Also, I bought both of my 4.5x14s from Natchezs - if anyone is interested, Midway has a bushnell legend ultra hd 4.5 x 14 x 44 on sale for about $150, that's $100 less than I paid for the one that sits on my 300WSM - I love it, but its heavy at 18.2 ounces

Spilled blood on our hands fuels reverence for our quarry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page