Saturday & Sunday at the range. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Saturday & Sunday at the range.

I seen lots of different brands of guns and some really nice older rifles.
I seen lots of paper plate experts shooting?
I seen a few lead sleds and 300 Magnum shooters!
The club range has free targets and a couple of rest on the benches. There were a few older shooters that waited for a spot put up a target and shot one round! These couple of folks had their rifles tuned in very well.
Got a little brass given to me but not like the old days?
I pitied a guy who had just bought a gun and had put a box and half of shells down range and could not hit a target!!!!!! I watched as he shot and he was 2 foot to the left of the target. The guys he was with says good enough and the left ??????
Witnessed a bunch of 8 inch paper plate 100 yards groups! Well 3 out of 5 shots hit the plate anyways.
We put up 4 shoot and see targets and i shot one nice 3 shot group of a little over an inch. My son shot the same gun and did a 2 inch one,my grandson done as well as i did . His dad did about a 3 + inch group. My granddaughter had her boy friend come to hunt with us and after seeing our clan shoot would not get his gun out to try it.
The gun we were shooting i had worked on for my youngest son and he got sick and could not make it to hunt with us!
I had more fun shooting than i did hunting !

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 11:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

We made our yearly Saturday morning journey over to the public range. It's a tradition and we use it as a teaching lesson for the young ones. What great entertainment for a few hours. Boy the clowns come out of the woodwork up here. I can't believe some of the people that show up there actually take to the woods. Even the little ones are in awe.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 08:39 PM
Banned

Reminds me of the days when I used to frequent the PGC range near French Creek State Park. The weekend before the deer opener was a madhouse, with every kind of dingleberry imaginable there attempting to sight in their rifles. Some of them knew their business. They'd fire 3 or 4 rounds to check zero, and they'd leave. Most of these guys weren't expert marksmen, but they were good enough. Had a few of those guys too that couldn't hit the barn if they were aiming for the door. They'd get one or two rounds on paper and they'd leave grinning as if they'd just won a match. Then there were the ones who hadn't clue one. They'd come in fire several boxes of shells, and would either leave in frustration or somebody would offer them assistance and would at least get them on paper.

When I was 18 and stupid, I screwed up the zero on my freshly mounted and bore sighted (by a smith) scope. Thought I knew what I was doing, wrong! A nice gentleman saw me having issues and came over and helped me out. Actually taught me how to properly sight in a scope. I never forgot that. I got a deer with that gun two days later. Well I got to pay it forward many years later. Was there when a guy was having all kind of issues hitting the target. Told me he had just gotten the scope mounted, and the smith supposedly had bore sighted the thing. The shooter evidently hadn't touched it, but he wasn't even on paper at 50 yards. It wasn't him, as I could tell he knew how to handle the rifle, so I helped him. He only had a few rounds left and was reluctant. I removed his bolt (with permission) and proceeded to bore sight his gun old school. Within 3 shots he was 6 or 7 inches from the bull at 50 yards. I told him what to do to get it zeroed the rest of the way......He couldn't have been more thankful. I felt good that day. I often wonder whether he got a deer that season. I hope so.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 12-01-2016 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page