Peep sights - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Peep sights

I am thinking of putting a Williams peep sight on a Marlin 336. Which one is recommended, the WGRS or the 5D? Midway has the WGRS on sale for $26.99 in new flyer. I was on Williams sight and both are ok on a 336.

Thanks

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Peep sights

I have the WGRS , I like it.
Doubt it would hold up to a beating , but then again I ain't planning on giving it a beating so it's worked out fine.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 AM

Do you want to try a Skinner Peep?

Skinner Peep Sights

I have one on my 444, but I just don't shoot it well enough for my liking(not the peeps fault....it's the guy behind the trigger!). I have at least one(maybe two) fiber optic front sights to go with it as well. PM me if you're interested. It's on the rifle right now and I plan to scope it instead for next bear season.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

the 5D sight is poorly made. when it was introduced, it was acalled 5D by Williams because it stood for 5 dollars, it was the least expensive sight sold then. It is a friction lock with no accurate way to incrementally move for adjustments. you sort of lossen the friction hold and guess/hope how far it will move.

Get a receiver sight that has a threaded adjustment. I like the Lyman receivers better, much better quality. Look at the Lyman 66 receiver sight, it is accurate, easy to sight-in and maintains its setting forever.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/s...eiver-peep.php
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Harry,
I almost fell off my chair when I saw the retail price of the Lyman 66. I remember when it was a third of that price.

I've been thinking of either a Skinner or Lyman for my .444. Peeps just seem to look the part on a lever gun. The Skinner seems trim and sits on the top, but adjustments aren't incremental. Guess you get what you pay for these days.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Sage

I've used older 5Ds on Marlins with no problems. Set 'em and forget 'em. Still have one on a 1950s vintage 336SC in 35 Rem.

My deal, is removing the aperture and using it as a ghost ring of sorts. With the loads I shoot, the full front brass bead at 6 o'clock in the "ring", is dead-on at 100 yards (benched). The bead centered in the "ring", puts it on at about 150 yards.

Not a problem thus far, because the longest shot at a deer, has been about 90 yards. That'un keeled at the shot. So have the others shot with it since then.

Very quick acquisition on moving deer with that set up and I've come to love it. Same set up worked pretty well on the M444 I had for years, too.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I ordered the WGRS from Midway, hope these old eyes can use it, if not will let a youngster borrow it.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ahhh the old days of the "meat sight"...

When my eyes were still good, I loved the old 5D on both my Marlin 336 and an Ithaca Deerslayer.

And I never had any trouble with it moving once I set it..

If you have never shot with a peep, you would be amazed at how well most people can shoot. The eye centers naturally in the rear peep.. a mere shadow.. all you have to do is put the bead on target.

Best regards, Glenn

Ain't no such thing as a "couldahad" with the bow"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Sage

I decided to start enjoying them again some years ago, while I still can. Part of the reason I only hunt baldies with iron sights.

Having a nifty pair of 8x30 Leupold Yosemites for the past few years, also goes along nicely with peep/irons. They're so light, sometimes I forget they're around my neck and inside my coat.

Started with irons over 50 years ago, never hunted deer with a scoped rifle until the late 70s.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 05:59 PM
The Man

I wouldn't mind having one of those Marlin Guide Guns...The 4570 with just the Ghost Rings on it..I do like to sit in heavy cover at times to hunt deer.. That would be neat taking one without a scope on the gun...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page