Do you think stainless long guns scare game animal - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Do you think stainless long guns scare game animal

Don't own many stainless long guns. Now you add a silver scope, silver mount and rings to a silver barrel.. do you think let say...deer or a bear.. Could they see that silver thing pointing at them in the woods? Did you ever miss a game animal because you did not have a blue or camo'd barrel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:50 PM

Re: Do you think stainless long guns scare game animal

Deer are color blind. bears are just about blind. Camo clothing is a scam and so is camo on your gun.

Timber

I am a Reagan Conservative first and a Republican second.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

I don't think SS is bad. I think high polished firearms can be very flashy, but that can be blued as well as SS.

I have a friend who has a high polish Borwning Medallion, and he mounted a high gloss Leupold on the rifle. One sunny day I was walking down a strip road and I knew he was hunting about 350 yards away in a large bowl. The sun was at my back. I looked up in his direction and his rifle was shining like a 3 foot mirror on the side of the ridge.

Not sure how that would effect any deer in close proximity, but I sure could see it.

I think game can see things like that. Just an opinion. Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghostacres
Deer are color blind. bears are just about blind. Camo clothing is a scam and so is camo on your gun.

Timber
deer arent color blind. that is just a myth. they see reds and blues (different ends of the color spectrum)different than the human eye. also, bears actually have the same or better vision than humans.

as far as stainless scaring game animals....never had that issue. plus, a deer wont see much of the gun at all when it is pointing at them. it would probably be hard for a human to even tell it is stainless when its pointing at them at some yardages, and we have ability to reason and actually know what a rifle is....deer dont. the only thing that could maybe spook a deer is maybe if you have a high shine stainless and the sun cast reflection off of it while holding in a direction other than aiming directly at the deer. other than that, you dont have to worry.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:14 PM

I've got 3 ss guns the finish is dull on them all and all have taken game. Some blued guns are shinnie . Camo is just for looks have 3 of those too. Camo cloths is to break up the solid look of your body. Most game can tell the block (upper body) with the ball on top as danger like how easy it is to see a guy leanin aganist the side of a tree. Break up your shape and don't worry about the color's of guns to much cause what i've shot with mine anyway didn't know weather SS or blued...later

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:31 PM
The Man

I'd rather have a satin or matte finish stainless barrel than a regular blued finish barrel. Never had an issue with any of mine.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The sun can glisten off of any of them.It does not bother the deer.Movement bothers the deer.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

They only get scared after it goes BOOM!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Frequent Contributor

The deer I shoot at never have a chance to hear the boom! The bullet is faster than the speed of sound
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 12:13 PM

When the sun hits some of the really polished models I would think the shine would scare some deer or bear..I've seen the shine off guys barrels across 500 yard valleys on sunny days when the sun angle is right. I choose the Browning SS stalker because their version is not polished.. As far as what they could see, it all depends on the sun angle..a shine could easily be picked up by them.. And Camo clothing is a scam, not in my eyes not the deer, bear or turkey that I chase.. just wear BIG blotchy types and it will hide much better than the fine stuff..good ole vietnam greens, predator and any other that has BIG blotches..bullets may be fast and faster than sound BUT not faster than light.. I wonder how many we've scared off and just never knew it..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page