USA Today on M700 Triggers - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Banned

Re: USA Today on M700 Triggers

These Remington guns have a flaw whether people want to admit it or not. An ounce of prevention goes a long way toward making sure this never happens though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 07:17 PM

I personally own a 700 that sits in the gun cabinet due to firing when trigger not pulled. I went to check the zero at the rifle range. When I clicked the safety off the gun fired. I was like wow I am an idiot. Holy cow that could have been a disaster. I thought I must have had finger on trigger. Next I loaded a round and the safety was not engaged at the bench. The gun was pointed down range and I was going to shoot as soon as round went in. When I closed the bolt the gun fired. Holy cow how can I do that 2 times in a row. I said to my self I never had that happen and for it to happen twice is crazy. So I cycle an empty in it and click it fired. This was a huge problem. I later adjusted the trigger (for the first time). And cranked everything up. It seemed to stop the malfunction. I open and closed the bolt a good hundred times. Pulled the trigger with an empty in it same amount. I banged butt on ground and had no more in expected fires. I am not sure if thus has anything to do with the problem. One thing is for sure, it has become a piece of furniture. I am to afraid to use it. To much on the line. A rifle is dangerous thing and I am not risking any accidental shooting. At some point I will contact remington to see my options. This may happen less then getting struck by lightining but I am not taking Amy chances due to a freak accident.
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Part of the Community

This issue was identified by Remington and fixed in the early 1980s rifles. Remington issued a service bulletin in 1982 and gave a window of a number of years that they would fix the issue for free. Despite being 20+ years past the window, Remington is still offering to fix the rifles at minimal cost, and reimburse authorized service centers at local gun shops for performing the modification on customers' rifles without the hassle of shipping a rifle off. I have had three Remingtons fixed for this over the past ten years and it has always been handled promptly and with minimal cost to me. It just takes an owner being informed and taking the initiative to contact Remington or take the rifle to a gun shop authorized to do Remington repairs. This is akin to media hype about the 2012 Ford F150 not having airbags and how it is killing people because the 1982 Ford F150 didn't have airbags, so the 2012 must have the same problem. The problem was corrected 30 years ago in the 700/40X.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-...model-40-X.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 03:04 PM

Gentlemen,
Believing anything USA Today says about guns is more than just questionable from the outset, contact a Master Gun Maker and get some real advise on any weapon that you have questions about, never take the word of a writer or
journalist about weapons, always ask a Master Gun Maker about Guns, make sure the Master Gun Maker belongs to the NRA and get some solid true weapons advise. Never take advise on weapons from a non-professional, especially one that is known to have an anti-weapons agenda. USA Today falls in both the Non-Professional and Liberal anti-weapons
category, when talking about guns.
Pine Creek

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Both Remington and experts hired by plaintiff attorneys have conducted testing on guns returned from the field which were alleged to have fired without a trigger pull," Remington's statement says, "and neither has ever been able to duplicate such an event on guns which had been properly maintained and which had not been altered after sale."
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu1ATrapr
I borrowed my fathers Model 700 in 7mm Mag for bear hunting last year. When we came back to the car and unloaded, I pointed the gun in a safe diretion, shut off the safety (which you need to do to raise the bolt) and as soon as I started to pull the bolt up .. BOOM!! My dad says "oh yeah" that's done that before, I should have it looked at. Talk about needing a change of underwear ...
I don't own a Rem. Never have. I own Winchesters, Savages, Thompson Centers and Marlins.

If I had a rifle that did what you just said, it would go to a Smith for repairs. If it did it again, it would be long gone.

I never knew this about Rem's.....but now that I do, I'll be [censored] sure to be careful when standing around a group of fellows and someone has one. More careful than those who have non-Rem's.

SW
post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethwood
I never knew this about Rem's.....but now that I do, I'll be [censored] sure to be careful when standing around a group of fellows and someone has one. More careful than those who have non-Rem's.
First, it is a very simple problem to diagnose:
1. With an unloaded rifle, operate the bolt to cock the weapon.
2. Close the bolt.
3. Place the safety on.
4. Open the bolt, one of the following will happen.
a. The bolt will open and your rifle is not affected by this issue.
b. The bolt will not open with the safety on, in which case, have it serviced.

Many other rifles have problems; few others are in as wide of circulation still as the Remington 700.

post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Lake444,

Quite frankly, I don't think the problem is as simple to diagnose as you make it out to be. If you read these two paragraphs from the article:

<span style="font-style: italic">According to Walker's patent, the secret was a tiny piece of metal called a "trigger connector," which is mounted loosely inside the firing mechanism. But critics, including ballistics experts who have been hired to testify against the company, say small amounts of rust, debris, or even a small jolt can cause the trigger connector to become misaligned, forcing the trigger itself to lose contact with the rest of the firing mechanism.

Then, the gun can be fired when other parts are operated, such as the safety or the bolt. Barbara Barber says her Remington 700 discharged as she moved the safety to the off position to unload the gun. Others have reported their rifles discharging when they opened, closed or even touched the bolt.</span>

It becomes very clear that if you simply touch the safety it will cause the gun to fire.

I think it's more than your 4 step plus a & b DX.

SW
post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Part of the Community

Sure, any number of things can become wedged in somewhere and cause a discharge in any firearm ever made, including twigs, gear, fingers, etc., but is something foreign being introduced to a firearm the manufacturer's responsibility? As a gunsmith familiar with Remingtons and Remington's fix for the identified issue, the steps I have provided will 100% allow you to remain safe because it guarantees your rifle is upgraded so that the bolt may be operated and the rifle unloaded while on safe. Now, if you violate basic firearms safety rules and ever take your firearm off safe without it being aimed at something you intend to shoot, then you can expect potential for injury. 1. Fix the problem Remington has identified. 2. Observe basic firearms safety and no one can get hurt around your firearm. I have not said that there will never be an unexpected discharge of the firearm, whether it be a Remington or any other brand, as there is no such guarantee on a mechanical device, but by observing your proper safety rules, no one will ever get hurt and the worst that can happen is you prematurely fire at something you intended to shoot anyhow and you then know you need to perform thorough maintenance before attempting to use the firearm, again. In our litigious society, everyone wants someone to blame for any action that takes place, but, in this case, no one could have been hurt if the basic safety rules had been observed, and one should never rely on a mechanical device to take the place of common sense.
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 10:34 PM

Why do these 700 Remington threds keep going??? The 700 action is the best action made. Like back in thred a guy with a 721 what 50 yrs.old needed cleaning??? God for bid any one has a mishap with any rifle. Remington Arms has done wonderful to help us enjoy our hunting and shooting sports. Can we give it a break????...later

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page